BCBS Grace Period

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
What is the grace period. BC hasn't drafted some of my clients for their new plans. My rep told me to have them pay it online & if bc drafts they will credit it for the next month. The problem some of these people can't afford two payments in a month. So how long can they hold off before they have to pay before it lapse.

From what I recall, the grace period now is 90 days. However, It's still 30 days for pre-2014 plans. This applies to all U.S. carriers.

Blue Cross of Illinois has misplaced/lost the drafting information (acct no/routing no/bank, etc.) on thousands of applicants, Sam. I have several who have not been drafted. Like you, Blue Cross is advising my clients to call, or mail in the premium.

I view it as Blue Cross's responsibility to reach out and contact these folks, to get them on the auto-premium-draft setup, like they requested on their initial application. Legally, it's Blue Cross's responsibility to make this happen.
-Allen

Edit Add: Just checked. Subsidized policies MUST have a 90 day grace period. All others, it's up to the insurer.

Last edited:
On or off exchange?

On exchange....no clue. Thank goodness.

Off exchange....depends on the state. Texas is 30 days.

Back