Beware Aetna and BofA

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Got a call from a client that was a bit disturbing. In retrospect, this is the third one this year but the first that went this far.

She has an HDHP we placed with Aetna last year. Got a renewal bump, but not bad so she kept it.

Seems Aetna sent out some paper work to sign, accepting the renewal.

Never heard that one before, but Aetna doesn't tell us much about what they do.

A few weeks after signing the papers and returning them, she get's a welcome letter from Bank of America and a debit card to use with her HSA.

She claims she never authorized Aetna to release her info (including SSN) to anyone, much less BofA. Unfortunately, she did not call me nor did she keep a copy of the papers.

I have had 2 other clients call in the past, wanting to know why I had BofA send them info to set up an HSA.

Well, I didn't.

These folks threw the paper work away. I can only assume this lady did not, signed it, and sent it back.

She has promptly cancelled the account and raised hell with Aetna and BofA but neither will own up to it. Neither claims to have copies of the papers allowing them to do this.

Never cared much for Aetna, but this is worse than Chase sending me offers for Ginzu knives in my monthly statement.

Anthem BC does it out here with their HSA provider bank (I think it's Mellon this week). Unless the applicant/subscriber declines it, they send the info to the bank to set up the HSA.

Never cared much for Aetna, but this is worse than Chase sending me offers for Ginzu knives in my monthly statement.

More like the equivalent of Chase saying, "Send in your monthly payment, and we'll add the Ginzu knives to your account and ship them to you."

I have had carriers send stuff out with the policy, but not on renewal. Can't recall ever having them set up the account for the client, other than Golden Rule and only when they used Optum Bank.

Back