COBRA and SEP

pogo

Expert
I was contacted yesterday by someone who has had Medicare A & B since early 2022 when he T65. He also has COBRA, but that coverage ends on June 30, and he’s exploring options.

I recall reading about a change in regulations that would allow a SEP when COBRA ends, but now I can’t remember if that was merely a proposal, a change now, or coming sometime in the future. What’s the latest word on a SEP for when COBRA ends?

Shouldn't be an issue since he has Part B already. Write him with lec or leghp sep into pdp and/or mapd. Med sup might be a little tricky depending on health and state...you might have a GI situation and not get paid on the app.

I was contacted yesterday by someone who has had Medicare A & B since early 2022 when he T65. He also has COBRA, but that coverage ends on June 30, and he’s exploring options.

I recall reading about a change in regulations that would allow a SEP when COBRA ends, but now I can’t remember if that was merely a proposal, a change now, or coming sometime in the future. What’s the latest word on a SEP for when COBRA ends?

Like Kstein said, use Loss of Employer coverage if doing MAPD or PDP, if they want a supp they are out of the OEP for turning 65. So, if they are healthy enough just write a G plan, if they have issues you may have to do a GI supp.

Latest posts

Back