Do MAPD Dental Benefits Coordinate with Stand-Alone Dental Policies?

(this is not throwing rocks, just an additional information for op question.)

How do you think this would work for dental services not covered by the standalone plan.

Say adult orthodontics like invisalign. I believe most of the stand alone dental policies I looked at that covered orthodontics would only do so up to age 18. While hunting for dental insurance and for local dentists, I was seeing a lot of ads for invisalign. My starting assumption would be that treatment is not covered by traditional stand alone policies. Do you think the Aetna MAPD would reimburse for it?

Implants the same way. As an example, the Manhattan DVH policy limits implants to a $1,500 lifetime amount. Do you think the MAPD plan would cover implant work even when a stand alone plan would not?

The Aetna MA plan I use covers everything but cosmetic like tooth whitening. It’s a straight reimbursement up to 1000.00. Dentist doesn’t submit it, client pays the dentist and sends receipt to Aetna. Have had some get top dentures done in December and bottom ones in January. Get 1000.00 for each year.

The Aetna MA plan I use covers everything but cosmetic like tooth whitening. It’s a straight reimbursement up to 1000.00. Dentist doesn’t submit it, client pays the dentist and sends receipt to Aetna. Have had some get top dentures done in December and bottom ones in January. Get 1000.00 for each year.
Ok, thanks for responding.

It seems that some stand-alone plans coordinate payment, while others don't. I would choose the stand-alone that doesn't coordinate, otherwise it's senseless. The devil is in the fine print as always, so need to do your due diligence.
Dental plans outside of MAPD plans just seem like such a crock. Most just pay you back what you pay into it.

Back