EGH and Rx Copay Assistance Gone Wrong

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Jennifer Hepworth and her husband were stunned by a large bill they unexpectedly received for their daughter’s prescription cystic fibrosis medication. Their payment had risen to $3,500 from the usual $30 for a month’s supply.

It turned out that the health insurance plan through her husband’s job had a new program in which it stopped applying any financial assistance they received from drugmakers to the family’s annual deductible.

Before the change, the drugmaker’s copay assistance would almost immediately meet her family’s deductible for the year, because both Hepworth and her daughter need expensive medications. As a result, the family was responsible for copays of only 20% of their medical costs instead of the 100% required by their plan until they met their deductible. By the middle of the year, the family would have reached the plan’s out-of-pocket maximum of nearly $10,000 and would no longer owe any copays.

I haven't worked the EGH market in several years but this seems to be a whiff and a miss.

Requiring plan participants to pay 100% of the cost of care (including Rx) until the deductible is met is incongruent with repricing that normally applies to care for covered expenses. Paying "full retail" for Rx or anything else pre-dates managed care.

Jennifer Hepworth and her husband were stunned by a large bill they unexpectedly received for their daughter’s prescription cystic fibrosis medication. Their payment had risen to $3,500 from the usual $30 for a month’s supply.

It turned out that the health insurance plan through her husband’s job had a new program in which it stopped applying any financial assistance they received from drugmakers to the family’s annual deductible.

Before the change, the drugmaker’s copay assistance would almost immediately meet her family’s deductible for the year, because both Hepworth and her daughter need expensive medications. As a result, the family was responsible for copays of only 20% of their medical costs instead of the 100% required by their plan until they met their deductible. By the middle of the year, the family would have reached the plan’s out-of-pocket maximum of nearly $10,000 and would no longer owe any copays.

I haven't worked the EGH market in several years but this seems to be a whiff and a miss.

Requiring plan participants to pay 100% of the cost of care (including Rx) until the deductible is met is incongruent with repricing that normally applies to care for covered expenses. Paying "full retail" for Rx or anything else pre-dates managed care.
This is for fully-insured groups. I do only self-funded and it does not apply. Another reason for groups of all sizes to look at self-funded.

You are still active in the EGH market, albeit self-funded only.

I know s-f groups have more latitude with regard to plan design and claim payments, but I don't recall ever encountering EGH PPO (or HMO) plans that refused to reprice claims incurred prior to the deductible . . . regardless of the size of the group.

Essentially, all submitted claims were adjudicated to determine eligibility. Repricing applied to approved claims only, regardless of whether it was a deductible, copay or coinsurance claim.

The carrier/plan sponsor decision to ignore claims covered by a financial assistance program or charity seems to be arbitrary and without basis in this case.

Lol, still? I am only 66.

We carve-out drugs that cost $500+ per month from the PBM. Then use a vendor to source/find mfg subsidies to lower the costs. In almost every situation we find another source for the drug at a substantial reduction. This is a voluntary option available to the insured. They have the option of taking the program or opting out. If they opt-out the pay the full amount, if they opt-in the costs are reduced, usually to $0. The plan cost has also been reduced significantly. On most groups the RX spend is reduced by about 40-50%.

Last edited:
Back