Employees Complaining About Their Benefits

The last couple of days, I've had a husband and wife hounding me about the benefits of their plan, which are quite good and get this, they pay $0 for their health insurance thru this employer.

They've called up complaining about their plan and thinly veiled language complained about him, like he's taking advantage of them.

The employer is one of my best clients and has referred a lot of biz to me over the last couple of years. I wanted so badly to say, "listen here you freakin baby, you should be glad to have a decent job and not have to pay for your health insurance".

These people are older, so that's what's really annoying, I could understand if they were in their 20's and didn't know the ropes, but my client, basically raised this guy's status with a much better job and pays his and wife's benefits 100%.

Naturally, I couldn't say anything to the employer, just wondering if any of you group people have dealt with this kind of thing before?

Yes, and that is why I only write spousal or 2-person non-spousal groups these days. I steer clear of any group plan where there are actually employees who are not either owners/partners/officers or family members.

The last couple of days, I've had a husband and wife hounding me about the benefits of their plan, which are quite good and get this, they pay $0 for their health insurance thru this employer.

They've called up complaining about their plan and thinly veiled language complained about him, like he's taking advantage of them.

The employer is one of my best clients and has referred a lot of biz to me over the last couple of years. I wanted so badly to say, "listen here you freakin baby, you should be glad to have a decent job and not have to pay for your health insurance".

These people are older, so that's what's really annoying, I could understand if they were in their 20's and didn't know the ropes, but my client, basically raised this guy's status with a much better job and pays his and wife's benefits 100%.

Naturally, I couldn't say anything to the employer, just wondering if any of you group people have dealt with this kind of thing before?

What do they want? To just complain about the plan...or are they having a problem in an area the plan doesn't cover....I know you don't want to bring it up to the employer who is your real client but if there is nothing you can do for them you might just want to give him a heads up...something like "Bob, its joe blow your insurance guy, just wanted to give you a heads up that I am unable to solve so an so's issue....Are you aware of the problem?" It could be that he is aware of them and just ignores there complaining....I don't know how many employees the company has but in businesses I've been in the owners don't like to keep comlpainers complaining and making other employees into complainers

I don't think you can ever get away from some employee dissatisfaction, no matter the group size or contribution to cost structure. I would absolutely make the employer aware of whatever ires this couple but I'd do it in a generalized way within the context of a scheduled Broker/Employer meeting (quarterly, whatever) and I'd do it in the context of overall employee sentiment. Obviously I would not ID the couple to the Employer.

You mention the couple is a bit older. Inasmuch as their benefits are non-contrib and, assuming their prior plan sponsor/employer also had a non-contrib plan, maybe they just have no idea how much is paid for their benefits.

Other than that, I'd do all I can to try to solve their problems or concerns. At some point, once I've done all I can, I'd initiate a conversation with the couple about their expectations and I'd be in position to offer them information about the relative rich level plan they have.

If it is a decent size group and if you are inclined, perhaps doing a "Total Compensation" statement that includes non-wage as well as wage-based comp would be helpful.

Other than that, grin and bear it!

It sounds like they want to avoid talking to their employer about it for some reason. I would let them know that they need to follow the proper chain of command and go to their HR department or employer. I would also offer to conference their employer in the next time they call. After all, you can't change a plan without the employer's consent. Something tells me that if you offer to transfer them to their employer or HR or offer to conference them in, they'll stop bothering you. :)

You need to find a way to talk with the owner and convince him that providing benefit statements on an annual or semi-annual basis is important. If you can't find a way to do it yourself, find a company that seems to be reliable and pass their number along as a show of goodwill.

All of you stuck to the topic and your commments were more useful and more pointed than the question, so I don't want to leave anyone out. I had another call, from these people after I made this post, but let it go to voice mail, and will consider what you've said here before talking with them again.

You guys are real pros, and I admire the agents that actively work that market. Working in industry for 12 years...well I couldn't wait to get away from it, and group reminds me too much of HR, Staff meetings, stilted conversation, etc. however, I am going to work the group market more in the future by AOR. I picked up my second one for the month yesterday that way.

Employees have no idea what they have, or how much of their paycheck goes toward employee benefits. Employers spend a lot on things (including group health insurance) but fail to communicate the VALUE of these benefits.

How many employees know how much their employer pays towards the cost of health insurance? Almost none, until they get their COBRA notice.

And how many know the employer matches dollar for dollar their FICA tax? Or how much is paid for unemployment insurance or workers comp? And how about the company snack room, free parking, etc?

Employers spend 15%+ (as a percent of payroll) on benefits and never get any credit. For a few dollars per month they can get a lot of bang for their buck by investing in some communication statements.

FringeFacts is the granddaddy. A competitor is Hidden Paycheck. Sam (melmunch) uses a service but I can't recall the name.

We also have to remember the perspective of the employee. It's not like everyone's running around earning $85,000 a year.

Takes someone earning $22,000 a year then this month they see a doc, get put on 2 meds and have an outpatient test.

doc = $25
2 meds = $25 + $25 = $50
outpatient test - $800 after repricing - goes to deduct

That's $875 and to them the plan absolutely sucks.

Back