Employer forgot to cancel coverage after lay off

If I remember correctly, the employer is REQUIRED to give timely notification of COBRA rights to employees. The penalties for not complying are severe.

And your friend may be able to use the fact that the employer "forgot" to cancel the coverage as evidence that the employer did not perform its legal obligations. I am not a lawyer and I am not a workplace group health insurance agent. Just offering an observation on what jumped off the web page as I read this thread.

I've been in this situation as well, and I highly recommend avoiding it. Usually, if you lose your job, you may have the right to continue your health insurance coverage for 18 months. However, you'll have to pay the entire premium. If you fail to pay your premiums and exhaust the grace period for plans offered in a health insurance marketplace, you will lose your insurance coverage. That's what happened to me, and I had to get an attorney to manage the situation after that. I was lucky enough to know some good lawyers from Garland Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers - Oberheiden, P.C. who helped me tremendously.

Last edited:
$10000 for injections is too much. I hope it's something she really needed, not just some stupid plastic surgery thing. They're in a pickle here because it's the employers' fault they didn't cancel the coverage. I hope they didn't end up paying the $24000 to the insurance.
I would first call my lawyer from https://bsmlaw.com.au/our-services/arabic-speaking-lawyers/ and ask them what I can do in this situation. Everyone that lives in the USA needs a lawyer. It's very likely that you will be in a situation where you need a lawyer, and it's best to be prepared for it.

Last edited:
Back