Fact Finder/ Needs Analysis

previously posted by ltcadviser

Well, if the teleknocking leads to a MedSupp sale, then why not leverage the relationship and trust to discuss LTC planning. Can't hurt. I would not lead with LTC through teleknocking though.

Jack,
Re-read my post (#39) as to why I don't believe that door-knocking from a med-supp list will work.
Just my opinion.........

Hey, you know what's funny? Since we posted, I got a phone call from someone whom I had doorknocked, but wasn't home or ignored me at the time. I had used a Med Supp turning 65 list, but if they didn't answer, left my card on the door with a note saying that if they were considering a Med Supp or LTC, to give me a call.

He said I was the first person he had contacted, looking for information and an idea of the cost. He's mulling it over, of course, but I thought it was ironic that it was just as we were discussing this.

But I have to listen to Arthur -- I think you might be right about this not being the ideal list, when I had thought it might be. This phone call from someone I had doorknocked two months ago, though, gives me hope that if they are thinking about it at all, this might not be such a bad way to start.

Instead of knocking on doors (which I give you a lot of credit for attempting) you may want to follow the dollar. Offer your professional help to those people that own and work at the businesses where you spend your money and volunteer your time in your community. You know, those folks that already know you but may not know what you do. One of the greatest networkers I know just keeps it simple and tells everyone he meets, "if I can ever be of help to you, let me know" not at all in the spirit of "what can you buy from me"... It's a nice way to conduct business.

By the way, what part of the country do you live in where people are open to door to door sales?

.............................................................................................................

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your sage and helpful advice!
This forum never ceases to amaze me with the quality of people on here. You are all successful not because of some aggressive, hard-driving attitude, but because you all obviously care very much about what you do, and your clients benefit. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

----------

By the way, what part of the country do you live in where people are open to door to door sales?

Charlie, I live in Kentucky. People here are friendly, if you aren't walking up to a farmhouse unannounced and looking suspicious! In suburban areas, if it's gated, or has a sign on the door saying no soliciting, I skip them. There are plenty of other places to go.
I always stay back from the door so I'm not up in their face, smile, reach to shake their hand, and say I'm introducing myself. Then I hand them my card and acknowledge that they have gotten a lot of unwanted attention about Medicare and their insurance. Let them express their exasperation, then ask if anyone has actually sat down with them and cut through the B.S. and explained things to them, person to person. That usually gets their attention, and you offer to do that, and find a good time.
I don't try to sell them anything but an appointment on the doorstep. Get their phone number to follow up if they aren't sure about setting an appointment right now. Keep it short, no pressure, find out what you can about them that THEY want to talk about, and move on.

I have had people ask me about life insurance, and LTC from this. It's slow, not a lot of numbers in this numbers game which worries me, but proportionally it's a much higher rate of positive response.

originally posted by keepgoing

Charlie, I live in Kentucky. People here are friendly, if you aren't walking up to a farmhouse unannounced and looking suspicious! In suburban areas, if it's gated, or has a sign on the door saying no soliciting, I skip them. There are plenty of other places to go.
I always stay back from the door so I'm not up in their face, smile, reach to shake their hand, and say I'm introducing myself. Then I hand them my card and acknowledge that they have gotten a lot of unwanted attention about Medicare and their insurance. Let them express their exasperation, then ask if anyone has actually sat down with them and cut through the B.S. and explained things to them, person to person. That usually gets their attention, and you offer to do that, and find a good time.
I don't try to sell them anything but an appointment on the doorstep. Get their phone number to follow up if they aren't sure about setting an appointment right now. Keep it short, no pressure, find out what you can about them that THEY want to talk about, and move on.

I have had people ask me about life insurance, and LTC from this. It's slow, not a lot of numbers in this numbers game which worries me, but proportionally it's a much higher rate of positive response.

Sounds like a good plan...........

Back