Georgia Health Plans

andins

Expert
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a guaranteed issue plan in Georgia for a client who has a heart problem (he's 26 years old) the rest of the family is healthy. He can always go to the VA but we are trying to avoid the VA if we can.

Dan

There's heart problems, then there's heart problems. GI versus VA, I don't see where, unless you've been miss informed about the health care one receives at the VA, you could promote an inferior GI even if you do find one.

I wonder if having the ability to receive care at the VA will exclude someone from PCIP?

Rick

Veterans Administration coverage makes the veteran ineligible for the PCIP plan...

"Eligibility for the PCIP program is limited to individuals with no
creditable coverage during the 6-month period prior to the date on
which they apply for coverage through the PCIP. Section 2701(c)(1) of
the Public Health Service Act on the date of enactment and 45 CFR Sec.
146.113(a)(1) define creditable coverage as coverage of an individual
under a group health plan, health insurance coverage as defined at 45
CFR 144.103, Medicare Part A or Part B, Medicaid, the Children's Health
Insurance Program, the TRICARE program, a medical care program of the
Indian Health Service or of a tribal organization, a State health
benefits risk pool (that is, existing State high risk pool), the
Federal Employee Health Benefits program, a public health plan (for
example, coverage through the Veterans Administration), or a health
benefit plan offered under section 5(e) of the Peace Corps Act."

Source: FR Doc 2010-18691

I guess the next logical question would be, what constitutes VA health coverage eligibility? Just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean that he/she is eligible for VA health coverage.

There's a short online questionaire. At the end, it will say either, "YES, you are eligible." Or, "Maybe...call us to find out".
Questionaire Link: Do You Qualify For VA Health Care? (VA Health Care Eligibility & Enrollment)

-A.C.

If he's in the metro Atlanta area, Grady is an option. All he has to tell them is that he can't pay, and no habla ingles, and he's got free coverage, compliments of the Dekalb and Fulton County taxpayers.

No risk pool.

VA (if eligible) or PCIP.

Or they can go to Grady as #2 suggested and send him the bill.

Back