Has anyone read about insurance and Ukraine?

Cornelius

Guru
1000 Post Club
I don't know anything about how insurance operates outside of the U.S. but I was wondering how the financial industry would handle a war?

I would think some U.S. companies would have some international business interest around the world.

I don't know anything about how insurance operates outside of the U.S. but I was wondering how the financial industry would handle a war?

I would think some U.S. companies would have some international business interest around the world.

So, just from a purely easiest way to answer this question:

Insurance companies make profit two ways:
1) Charging a premium.
2) Investing those premiums into financial products that match the insurance products' time frame (Life insurance is generally invested in long term vehicles)

No matter if they hold foreign assets or not.. they're affected by warring countries because financial markets do not like unpredictability.

How that affects customers is minimal, as insurers are required to hold reserves in order to cover claims.

So, does it hurt their profitability? Yes. However, each insurer works in foreign markets differently.

This reminds me of stories of swiss banks and others doing business with Nazi's during ww2, and of American factories producing for Germans in Germany all the way up to the end of the war in ww2

Latest posts

Back