Healthcare.gov SEP Date/Submittal Question....

Hello all...a client of mine lost employer coverage on 6/30/2020. About a week ago, I walked them through filling out the Healthcare.gov application, they selected the plan right there, and everything seemed to go through just fine. They logged on today and it’s as if they never did anything. It says they don’t have a plan and that they no longer have an SEP to pick a plan. If they call them will they allow them to pick the plan still? It’s an obvious technical glitch, but this is the first time I’ve run across this problem. Thanks for any help.

Also, please make a note that the Exchange didn't ask them to eventually submit this document, as it usually does when someone has lost employer coverage, in the past. My guess is maybe they aren't asking for verification because of Covid? It does state on Healthcare.gov that FEMA declared Covid a national emergency, and if someone missed their SEP, they may qualify for another SEP, if they were impacted by Covid (from sickness, job loss, etc.) My guess is they aren't asking for the document because so many people have been impacted, but this is just a guess. I haven't filled out an application on the exchange in quite a while, as it's not my main insurance focus, so I just don't know. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Also, please make a note that the Exchange didn't ask them to eventually submit this document, as it usually does when someone has lost employer coverage, in the past. My guess is maybe they aren't asking for verification because of Covid? It does state on Healthcare.gov that FEMA declared Covid a national emergency, and if someone missed their SEP, they may qualify for another SEP, if they were impacted by Covid (from sickness, job loss, etc.) My guess is they aren't asking for the document because so many people have been impacted, and, but this is just a guess. I haven't filled out an application on the exchange in quite a while, as it's not my main insurance focus, so I just don't know. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Correct, in most cases they are not asking for proof of loss of coverage.

Correct their is a new sep if you lost imsurance at any point earlier this year.

The client probably went through 80% of application, got eligibility letter and then forgot to continue and select a plan.

Correct their is a new sep if you lost imsurance at any point earlier this year.

The client probably went through 80% of application, got eligibility letter and then forgot to continue and select a plan.

Thanks, my friend. You are a lifesaver!

Depends on the state. And yeah while they aren't asking for same level of document proof as previous years BUT if your client put an insurance lost date of more than 60 days previous then most states would reject that application. I'm pretty sure no states are still doing the cover sep, am I wrong? I know the states where I sell don't, including NV which had a covid sep for only a few weeks.

Your client is probably SOL

We are speaking of the other 38 states that use federal marketplace. NY can never be compared to the rest of the markets

Back