Home Insurance in Colorado

HCCIA

Expert
MA
I am an IA in MA. My brother lives in CO (Evergreen) and has his HO-3 with Allstate. They live up in the mountains and in a forest fire hazard area. Allstate came out and told him he had to chop down ever tree within 50' of the house or they would non-renew him. While probably not bad advise, it is just not acceptable or practical. Are there any other markets out there that would entertain this? Anyone an IA out there that can help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not that familiar with the CO market (though I used to live in Golden, long time ago) but its safe to say that in general, every carrier is going to want at least a 50 ft buffer. Why is it not practical?

He can probably go to the state 'Fair Plan' and get coverage, but it will be expensive and not very good coverage. In place of that, there may be a carrier that will do it, but it will be very expensive.

In CA, without the buffer zone, they basically assume the house already burned down and just wonder how fast they will have to write the check. You can imagine this doesn't make coverage cheap. CO doesn't have quite the same problem, but its not far behind.

Dan

Allstate is a rotten, deplorable, abhorrent company. Leave them immediately

As much as insurance1822 may seem like an a$$hole.... He is 110% correct. They also probably have an Actual Cash Value endorsement for the roof, which means if something happens, they will justify paying half of what it costs to replace it. A good IA will have a solution for you.

Back