Income based SEP question?

SirLurkAlot

Expert
Texas female turned 26 April of 2017 and was dropped from her parents plan per rules. As a full-time student she had no income thus did not qualify for subsidy and could not afford insurance non-subsidized. She graduated mid-December 2017 and began a job January 14, 2018. Now that she has income, we completed the Marketplace application and she qualified for some subsidy however it would not let us enroll her saying enrollment was closed. She contacted HC.gov and explained everything and requested enrollment under the change in income SEP but was denied. I did not call with her and I'm not sure if it is still acceptable to do so this year but I scripted what she was suppose to say and she confirms she basically read what I had written:

“I was a college student with no income thus could not afford insurance. I graduated in December in 2017 and started a new job January 14 and now have income and want to get insurance under the ‘change in income’ Special Election Period. I’ve already completed the application and qualified for tax credits. The Application ID is: XXXXXX” They will take it from there and ask you questions like where you work, income, etc.

Can you not use that C.O.I. SEP if you do not already have a marketplace plan? Had no problems last year. Any suggestions? Would she be eligible for a change of address SEP if she were to move? Medicaid denial?

FYI, this is a healthy young lady who has finally figured her path in life and is trying to be responsible by getting coverage. No health motivations at all- just the life responsibility and protection of the unknown. Thanks!

OEP is over so without a marriage, divorce, childbirth she does not have a qualifying life event. The income change is to either increase or decrease the subsidy. Hopefully the new job will provide some coverage.

If they let people do it like that, everyone and their brother who was sick and needed insurance would be quitting their job, then starting a new one a month later so that they could use the "change in income" SEP. She is caught in one of the states that didn't expand Medicaid so there isn't any help for those under 100% FPL and no SEP when you do get a job.

Latest posts

Back