Insurance Advice/help for Someone Going Blind

wwhite17

Hello,

I'll start by saying I'm not very knowledgable about insurance, so any advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

I am currently employed at a small business and have been using the health insurance from my company for several years.

Long story short, I am legally blind and my remaining vision is rapidly getting worse. This is not an easy transition, and it is making having a full time job difficult.

I am wondering what insurance options are available to me on either a state or national level. As it gets harder to work, I want to make sure I have the most accurate options available to me to ensure I am covered if I can't work, which will be difficult with limited income. My main needs are prescription medication, doctor visits, but will also have potential surgeries to deal with.

I'd be happy to share more information to anyone who can provide some advice or point me in the right direction, thank you.

If you have to leave employment and the employer has at least 20 full-time employees, then you would be eligible for at least 18 months of continuation coverage at your own expense under COBRA.

If less than 20 employees, then it will depend on what your state offers for state mini-COBRA continuation and also the state rules about voluntary termination (some states like NV won't allow mini-COBRA if not a involuntary termination).

That will take care of the first 18 months at which point ObamaCare will be in full force and you can make the transition at the COBRA expiration into an individual coverage plan with no medical underwriting.

You should be "good to go" with your options.

It really helps to know what state you are in. Each state has there own rules right now, but changing soon. If you need help now, help us help you by giving us your location.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. I am currently in Washington state, but as I become less independent with my vision loss, I will probably need to move closer to family.

I'd have to go the mini-COBRA route, do you know who I need to contact to get more information on my state's options?

Also, do you have an overview in simple terms of ObamaCare?

Thanks again

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. I am currently in Washington state, but as I become less independent with my vision loss, I will probably need to move closer to family.

I'd have to go the mini-COBRA route, do you know who I need to contact to get more information on my state's options?

Also, do you have an overview in simple terms of ObamaCare?

Thanks again

Apparently Washington state handles it differently so you'd have to contact the insurance carrier you have your employer plan through and find out how they handle continuation for groups under 20 employees.

2. In Washington, insurers are required to offer employees the option of having a continuation coverage provision; however, continuation coverage is not mandated in group policies

Starting October 1, 2013, an initial open enrollment period begins for healthcare reform. Currently provisions are that anyone can purchase an individual coverage plan with no medical underwriting (guaranteed-issue) from the carriers in your state. Rates will be on community rating so everyone in your area at your age pays the same premium (unless they use tobacco).

You will likely have two options to purchase an individual health plan for Obama Care, either through your state's health insurance exchange if you qualify for lower-income subsidy help or outside of your state's exchange in the open market if you don't qualify for subsidy help.

Both markets are guaranteed-issue.

Back