Is There an SEP for "Institutionalized Individual" Still?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I was given a referral for a long term care resident who has no other SEP available. I came across this one in old SEP cheat sheet from 2008. But is it still valid?

I was given a referral for a long term care resident who has no other SEP available. I came across this one in old SEP cheat sheet from 2008. But is it still valid?

Yes, but make certain they need an MA plan and that their doctor(s) are okay with it.

A large percentage of those in LTC are already or will soon qualify or Medicaid. Putting them in an MA plan may not be beneficial.

Rick

Yes, but make certain they need an MA plan and that their doctor(s) are okay with it.

A large percentage of those in LTC are already or will soon qualify or Medicaid. Putting them in an MA plan may not be beneficial.

Rick

Her doctor was the one who referred her to me.
This particular one is not any where Medicaid status. She has too many assets. She had a stroke a month ago and was hospitalized for 30 days. would a medigap be out of the question? That would probably work better for her since she has to spend her $$ anyway. Might as well enhance her quality of care.

Her doctor was the one who referred her to me.
This particular one is not any where Medicaid status. She has too many assets. She had a stroke a month ago and was hospitalized for 30 days. would a medigap be out of the question? That would probably work better for her since she has to spend her $$ anyway. Might as well enhance her quality of care.

Institutionalization creates a SEP to enroll in a MA or Part D. It does not create a Guarantee Issue period. She would be turned down by every Med Supp company given her stroke a month ago.
Put her on a MA and her MOOP costs will at least be capped and she may be able to save some of those assets.

Latest posts

Back