Letter for the masses?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi I have been searching high and low and I can't seem to find anything or any company that has marketing print letters for the masses. I am trying to market to a broad age audience to get the word out that I can offer services from many top insurance companies vs just the guys that only push one product. I would like to hit on life, retirement, ltc and DI.

If anyone knows of a company or would be willing to share something that has worked for them I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get my activity going.

I do plan on following up to the letter with a call if I have their number but I think this could help me get them warmed up.

Just an opinion: Most people will only slightly care that you have all the top companies. They care about their problem first. I, If i was marketing, would focus on laying the problem front and center then let them know you Da Man. IMohsoHO

Write it yourself and leave the company names out of it.

That

Back in the Black and White days when I used to hunt to eat. i used to do a lot of mail. i remember listening to this guy at a convention one year. I bought his concept binder and used a lot of his quotes, graphs, and concepts. Some of them worked so well I stopped using them.

One was the one-page proposal.

Another was concentrating on the problem as in The Price is not the Problem, the Price is the solution.

Looks like he died a couple of years ago.

Ooops > Name was Howard Wight

Reactions: DHK
Howard Wight's daughter asked me to review a couple of his books about 6 months ago. She sent me "Red-Letter Language" (which I thought was very good for basic concepts) and "Life Insurance in a Nutshell" (also very good for basic concepts).

Howard Wight's daughter asked me to review a couple of his books about 6 months ago. She sent me "Red-Letter Language" (which I thought was very good for basic concepts) and "Life Insurance in a Nutshell" (also very good for basic concepts).

Agree.

That is what I liked about his stuff for marketing. Basic concepts to peak curiosity. My style is more of a relationship storyteller.So basic is good for me. You smart guys confuse me.

I am trying to market to a broad age audience to get the word out that I can offer services from many top insurance companies

Casting a wide net may help you achieve your goal . . . which is presumably new clients. That type of approach can gin up interest in the form of looky-loos and tire kickers . . . but few buyers.

I used to do something similar. Do anything to make the phone ring or bring in a bunch of reply cards.

My first life insurance position had generic mailers as well as broader ones.

If you wanted to work the new parent market the prospect was promised a Dr. Spock (pediatrician, not the Star Trek guy) New Baby Book. I tried that for a while. Got a number of responses and appointments but few sales. I found out that new parents didn't have much money, but they wanted the book.

These "free gifts" cost me. Not only did I have to pay for the mailing but also the book.

Same agency, different target market. This letter was aimed at folks who liked to travel. The offer was a free road atlas. That was the paperback version of GPS.

Once again, a lot of reply cards and appointments. Few sales but handed out a lot of road maps . . . paid for by me.

No more life insurance sales for me. I still use a targeted approach (Medicare supplement) but no free gift, just an invitation to spend 10 minutes on the phone. Ask any Medicare question. I will not only answer your questions but send out an email with more information about your specific questions.

If you need more than 10 minutes I will stay on the line with you until you are satisfied. Or, if you don't feel my information is of value, we hang up and part as friends.

I call this my offer you can't refuse.

No selling. Just answers you are seeking but without the pressure to buy anything.

You may think this doesn't work but it actually works better than anything I have done. My "no selling zone" results in folks who call me, not the other way around. Many of my sales happen months or even a year or more later.

They call when they are ready to buy.

It is not unusual to get referral calls that originate from someone who bought 3, 4, 5 years ago or longer.

It's the difference in a ground game vs aerial assault (passing game).

It doesn't matter if you are selling life insurance, health insurance or some other form of insurance. Your prospect is not interested in your product. They recognize they have a problem and want a solution, not a sales pitch.

When you take the time to listen to their questions and provide them with answers (the solution) they will buy. And they buy, not because you are a great salesman, but because you took the time to show them a way to solve their problem.

There is an old adage about a guy that walks into a hardware store. You think he is there to buy a drill but he is there for a solution. His problem is he needs a hole, the drill is the solution.

Focus on the hole, not the drill

Back