Marketing companies overides

Suitupshowup1

I am a semi retired independent broker who had a nice career selling insurance. This post is most relevant to agents who have a good career in the business, a nice book of renewing busineess, and often qualify for marketing conferences with at least one carrier each year based on personal production. In other words, they work hard and have made it a success on their own efforts and abilities. Which begs the question: Why are we paying anyone an overide who we do not need and who does absolutely nothing for us?
My guess is that the answer lies in a comment made by a Texas Legislature lobbyist friend who remarked years ago that people
in our business selling the insurance and the lifeblood of the companies are too independent for our own good. We dont collude for change as a group although the companies we sell for do and often follow suit based on this knowledge. Being licensed since 1975, this has been a pattern throughout. However for me and others that write a lot of business; the most egregious is the idea that somehow we require supervision and "marketing" support. We dont! And this excuse that that the companies dont want to train or field calls, or do this; that is fine because we dont need that anyway. Those FMOs dont train agents but want producers like us with an extensive client base to siphon overides of commissions we have earned from our years of hard work. Brokers that produce enough to qualify for conventions and sales awards, that represent other carriers that offer comparable products, need to band together, and one company at a time stop all production until this has been addressed. And then to move on to compamy two, and do the same and demand a choice of support and lower comps, or no support and our just compenstion. With the technology availabe that eliminates HO assistance, the day of unneessary FMOs, downlines, and the like should go the way of Blockbuster and KMart and become a thing of the past and those that want overides for nothing can train agents and earn them. In other words, become what they should have been in the first place and earn it.
We did.

Last edited:
Back