Navigating Medicare compensation rules

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
Let's pretend I have an accounting firm that has a steady flow of medicare clients and they want to monetize that flow with minimal effort from the cpa firm.

Now if this was life insurance we could just split cases but that won't work with many of the med sup carriers (AARP/BCBS) and doesn't work on a pdp/mapd level since ahip and annual certifications come into play.

Has anyone found a viable solution to this dilemma?

Not sure if this is the direction you are looking, but often times when I come across these situations, the firm will go the direction of hiring a Medicare licensed agent as an employee. So basically, the firm appoints with whatever carriers are necessary (yes the principal has to certify each year) and then you bring on the agent that is going to actually handle the clients but have them assign commission to the agency. The writing agent also certifies every year but all of the commission goes to the agency and the agency in turn pays the employee how they see fit.

Ya that seems to be about the only possible option here. I was just hoping to have another solution that eliminates the need for annual re certification by the principals/back end personal.

Thanks for your reply.

I wish there were a simpler option but I haven't found one. I'm walking someone that owns a p/c agency through this right now. It's not terrible depending on your market and how many carriers are that competitive.

Back