Need knee surgery

roasthog

Hi all...I'm looking for an insurance plan that will allow me to get MRI's done on both of my knees and most likely surgeries after that. I've had my right knee scoped about 6 years ago and haven't had anything done on my left knee aside from an x-ray that didn't show any problems.

I live in California and am in generally good health aside from my knees. My job promised medical insurance eventually but with the current state of the economy it's not looking like that will happen anytime soon and I am 31 years old and want to deal with this issue. I don't make a lot of money and my employer has cut my hours back so I'm looking for an affordable plan that will allow me to do what I need to do, any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Need knee surgery?

I can't speak for California, but I know in Mississippi you could most likely get coverage, but your knees would be excluded as they are a pre existing condition.

Good luck

California is all-or-nothing, no exclusions, riders or such.

Candidate for surgery with pre-ex is a decline from all carriers. You are uninsurable until at least six months after the final surgery is complete, and then thorough underwriting.

Your only change is either MRMIP (which is expensive, has a 6 month waiting list and limits annual benefits to $75,000) or an employer-sponsored health plan (which, unless you have had another group coverage plan within 179 days, will put a mandatory 6 or 12 month waiting period on pre-ex).

Get a job that will give you insurance. Don't laugh but I think Starbucks offers coverage even to part-timers. Go to work there part-time, second shift, etc. Just an idea. Otherwise you are going to pay it out of your own pocket.

Get a job that will give you insurance. Don't laugh but I think Starbucks offers coverage even to part-timers. Go to work there part-time, second shift, etc. Just an idea. Otherwise you are going to pay it out of your own pocket.

LOL. xrac, i do laugh everytime i here that Starbucks line, but you are right. Plus you can get a discount on all you mocha frappacino's.:D

I would deffinatly try and get a job that has benefits. I had ortho knee surgery about 2 years ago, and after the doc. bills, hospital bills, and therapy. That little in and out surgery cost about $25K.

Worst part is, a few months ago, that same knee blew out again... I'm letting nature heal it this time.

If you can find a job with bennefits, I would jump on it, and schedual the surgery for the first day after your "probation period" is up. Most places you have to work there for like 3 months before coverage is allowed. Thats how it is here in SC, not sure about CA.

Back