Neighbor imported Mother-In-Law from the Philippines and wants Medicare

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
My neighbor brought his mother in law, who turns 65 in September, to America about a year ago.

She has worked here for the past year, and now wants Medicare in September.
She is not disabled.
My neighbor claims her as a dependent on his taxes for some reason. (He is about 45 years old).

Its sunday, and been a while since I have come across a situation like this.
Am I correct in thinking, that the only way she could get Medicare is if she "buys in"?

If she’s not eligible for premium free part A, get her on a ACA plan with subsidy. But, if she’s not working and making at least the poverty level, she will pay full price.
She could buy Part A and B

My neighbor brought his mother in law, who turns 65 in September, to America about a year ago.

She has worked here for the past year, and now wants Medicare in September.
She is not disabled.
My neighbor claims her as a dependent on his taxes for some reason. (He is about 45 years old).

Its sunday, and been a while since I have come across a situation like this.
Am I correct in thinking, that the only way she could get Medicare is if she "buys in"?

Legal immigrants who are age 65 or older who do not have 40 quarters can purchase Medicare Part A after residing legally in the U.S. for five years continuously.Then if their income is low they can get gov. cheese by applying for a medicare savings program to have the state pay a and b premiums and for extra credit they then can enroll in a snp ma plan that gives them free transportation to the grocery store where they can get free store bought cheese with their OTC food card.

Back