New to P&C Underwriting Help

ItchingToLearn

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this industry so I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions regarding the job.

To make my long story short, I just jumped into this field with no prior experience or knowledge of the industry at all. I was looking for a job after college and kinda randomly applied for this position because I fit the basic requirements. There were two job positions available, product analyst and underwriter, and I came in trying to apply for product analyst. In the interview, they told me that product analysts were what underwriters became after years of experience so I had to apply for underwriter instead. I got hired with no idea of what an underwriter even was or did. It has been about 2 months since I got hired and I am learning the business relatively quickly, according to my coworkers, through my training with them. My current position is P&C Underwriter.

My question is:
1. Is Underwriting a dying job field? I just graduated from college and am in an ambiguous area where I am not late enough to be changing job fields. Does underwriting provide a decently stable job market or should I jump ship to another more stable job?
2. My manager told me that if I am not stupid and work hard, I can easily be making six figures in the next 3-5 years. This was based on his own personal experiences and hes been in the industry for 20 years. Is he being realistic or is his experience an anomaly? He himself is doing really well financially so I don't doubt he's telling the truth but I am just worried if he is just basing that on just his own experience or if that's how the everyone is in the business.
3. Does Underwriting pay well? Relative to like other business jobs.
4. I have been searching job paths for underwriting ever since I have been hired but I came up short. My researches only show advancements as Senior Underwriter or Underwriting Manager. Are these my only realistic career paths or are there more career paths with different job titles?
5. Is P&C Underwriting specifically a good position in regards to all underwriting job categories? Or should I aim to go another direction in underwriting?

Thank you!

I cannot answer many of your questions, but I can tell you that Underwriting is not a dying field.

The Bureau of Labor and Statistics expects a 5% decline in Insurance Underwriting employment. That is not a dying industry. If anything the industry is changing as new technologies become available and change the landscape.

As a P&C agent, I laugh at the very concept that all underwriting decisions will someday be automated. At some point a human must make a decision with many of these risks.

Back