Out of State College Coverage....

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
I read on Facebook folks complaining that their child attended college out of state and now they can't get "insurance for their family"....true? Surely there is a procedure for this. I have not talked to them to know the details.

Both families live in N GA. One has a son in college in KY the other has one in SC

I read on Facebook folks complaining that their child attended college out of state and now they can't get "insurance for their family"....true? Surely there is a procedure for this. I have not talked to them to know the details.

Both families live in N GA. One has a son in college in KY the other has one in SC

If they are under 26 and dependents I don't see why they couldn't be on their parents plan. They aren't residents of the state because it's not their permanent address.

If they are under 26 and dependents I don't see why they couldn't be on their parents plan. They aren't residents of the state because it's not their permanent address.

That's what I've been doing. It works if the parent's PPO network is also in the state(s) where the students attend college. Most likely, they're under age 26.

Here in California, If your kids go to school out of state, and, if you have Blue Shield or Anthem Blue Cross PPO coverage, "Blue Card" would extend out of state as of 1.01.2016.

I agree with the other posts, but there may be something else going on. Could it be that the kids have established residency in those other states, thus leading to be ineligible?

I agree with the other posts, but there may be something else going on. Could it be that the kids have established residency in those other states, thus leading to be ineligible?

Unless they've changed their driver's license/tags I wouldn't think so (at least in my small area of East TN)

Folks, the problem is that their aren't any nationwide PPO's out there to choose from. There is not one plan in AZ that covers you outside of our state if you live in Phoenix (except emergencies).

And, there is only 1 OFF exchange PPO that solves this problem. Same goes for snowbirds.

Best for kid to buy off exchange policy in state they reside.

Back