PLEASE HELP.... H/W Married but Separated, Not Living Together and

slyrock1

Expert
And file taxes separately. Mother keeps disabled daughter (wheelchair and on medicaid) at home.

Father/Husband lives with friend and brings in $30k/yr.

Mother unemployed but "applied for unemployment for which she "may" receive $1,500/mo.

What should I do? Should I tell them it would be more beneficial for them to file jointly? Would that save them money in the long run? He pays for her health insurance currently and cares a lot about her and would pay on her new policy if need be, but mentions that $225-250/mo would be nearly all of his retirement $, and doesn't like the idea of paying that much.

send them to the local navigator office........

And file taxes separately. Mother keeps disabled daughter (wheelchair and on medicaid) at home.

Father/Husband lives with friend and brings in $30k/yr.

Mother unemployed but "applied for unemployment for which she "may" receive $1,500/mo.

What should I do? Should I tell them it would be more beneficial for them to file jointly? Would that save them money in the long run? He pays for her health insurance currently and cares a lot about her and would pay on her new policy if need be, but mentions that $225-250/mo would be nearly all of his retirement $, and doesn't like the idea of paying that much.

since the subsidy amount is based on 2014 income the subsidy qualification status should also be based on 2014 filing status in my opinion. but since we're talking about the government here and health care reform rules are not logical who knows?

Have them talk to an accountant. In cases where the couple has been separated, and lived in separate households for the last 6 months of the year, with a dependent involved, then one spouse might be able to legitimately file "head of household with qualifying dependent". It depends on the exact situation. It's complicated, and calls for an accountant.

If disabled daughter gets SSI income, Mom MIGHT not be able to claim her as a dependent child!

is it worth your time? no, do what I do and give them the naviey phone number. I have learned one thing about HC.gov and that is if the family situation seem convoluted don't waste your time applying.....

Back