Questions/Advice on Individual Vs Group

locksteel

My husband and I have a small business in Missouri with 4 employees. We just got group insurance w UHC in July because I was pregnant (and obviously there are no individual plans that cover maternity) However, only my husband and I chose to do the group ins and our premium was $1500/month (b/c of pregnancy). It has 100% coinsurance and covers everything at 100% after deductible is met. It's a pretty good ins plan however we have to change as soon as the baby is born because a $1500 a month premium is ridiculous for a 34 and 30 year old with an infant. So, we are wondering what our options may be..... here's what we have researched but looking for advice.

We will want to have another baby probably within 2 years. So are there any individual plans that have maternity with a waiting period that is 24 months or less? If so, I haven't found any. Other option would be to switch to another group insurance that has the high deductible, 100% coinsurance and max out of pocket that covers maternity (like what we have) Any leads, comments, suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Obama killed maternity options for individual insurance.

Better hope your group carrier doesn't audit your payroll and cancel the plan.

You don't need maternity insurance. You need major medical.

Talk to a local agent.

Blue cross has plans that can fit your needs. Look for a local health insurance broker that can help you. Or the guy who did your group insurance.

Major medical will cover complications of pregnancy and sick baby. It would be cheaper to pay for the prenatal care and delivery yourself than to buy a maternity rider. Way back when my wife was pregnant, we made monthly payments to the dr and by the time delivery came it was all paid for. Nowadays, many parents are using birthing centers which are next to a hospital and having natural childbirth, which costs even less. You can get deals on having a baby that will cost you less than the rider. Just get basic 80/20 major medical and pay for your dr visits yourself. Get a $2500 deductible and save your money instead of funding the insurance executives big bonuses.

Back