Risk of registering out of state

Pmarc

3 large and 2 small car insurers told me if they learn I registered out of state (where my car isnt used) they'd cancel my insurance or refuse a payout upon an accident. Is this a bluff?

Several ppl tell me they totalled their cars, registered not where they live/use the car and nothing happened. My sense is insurers are only trying to prevent cheaper insurance rates gotten fraudulently. My current payments are based on where I live, not by where my car is registered because I signed up for car insurance prior to registering elsewhere.

My current payments are based on where I live, not by where my car is registered
So you live in One State and have the Car registered in another State?

registered out of state (where my car isnt used
If your auto is Not used in that state why on earth would you register it there?

How does the CA DMV feel about that? [Or some other state's DMV]

they'd cancel my insurance or refuse a payout upon an accident.
Who exactly told you that? Underwriting, an Agent?

If you hit a car with 4 medical students you will find out quickly how fast insurance companies check background on claims. You will be deemed not to have coverage and you will get exposed to liability.

If your auto is Not used in that state why on earth would you register it there?

Who told me? 5 insurance company employees in 3 diff departments: claims, cust service, and agents. I believe each agent was certified , if thats the word for it.

Registering a car in a state where you do not own a residence or rent a residence is Rate Evasion. If a claim is made on that vehicle AND you get caught evading your claim can be denied and/or you can be made to pay back the amount if premium you have evaded

It cant be rate evasion if your rate is, has been, and is planned to be for the area where you live. (As I said initially).

If you hit a car with 4 medical students you will find out quickly how fast insurance companies check background on claims. You will be deemed not to have coverage and you will get exposed to liability.

You're suggesting there are many things other than totalling a car which have bigger money consequences. Including paralizing someone, or death. That possibility is exactly why I'm here. You dont want to be worring about being uninsured with a payout in the millions. The big question is, if you've always been paying standard rates for the area where you live, what will happen when the big one hits and although your rates are legit, someone in the Legal department sees an opportunity. There is no mention of registration in my own insurance rider. But it doesnt matter. If they want to make up rules you'll be paying your own lawyers to stop them. From what I know it'll be random. Some cases wont be paid, some will. Like playing the shell game.

Back