Sect. 105 / HRA Plans

Full Throttle

Guru
1000 Post Club
Midwest
Simple advice learned again today: Make sure you work with a good TPA or your life will become complicated very quickly. If a TPA gives you a debit card option, run away, not worth it. Right now I'm stuck in between an "A" client and a TPA I suggested a few years back. I haven't sent them any new business in two years due to plenty of other issues, but they still seem to haunt me on a quarterly basis.

Debit cards from anyone can be an agent's nightmare. The cards are supposed to be encrypted to allow you to purchase Rx in a Kroger but not your 6 pack and pizza.

Even if the cards are coded correctly, the software and terminal used by the providers may not be.

They usually work without a hitch in pharmacy's but it is a crap shoot in a doctors office.

This is not just with TPA's
The big carriers seem to screw up the Debt cards too.

Debit cards on an HRA almost made me lose a group client with 48 employees. I have this client insured for health, life/ad&d, std, ltd, dental, voluntary life, and vision, all of which the employer pays nearly 100%, and almost every employee enrolls... It's a great case for me. I almost lost the whole case over darned HRA debit card problems.

I switched TPA's to a national TPA that I'd never tried before after doing a lot of research and asking several local agents for recommendations. Then I held my breath. Thank goodness it's working well. The client & their employees understand that sometimes you just have to submit receipts, but at least most of the time the debit card works. If you want the TPA's contact info., then PM me. By the way, I have no incentive to recommend them, no spam here, just a friendly offer.

I don't plan to enroll any more groups with debit cards, not worth the the time and headaches even though it sounds appealing. The only exception is if they can be coded for prescriptions only. The reality, that is virtually the only time an employee would be required to front the money anyway before being reimbursed.

Latest posts

Back