signing up for Medicare?!

keith365

Super Genius
If I'm not mistaken, I've had many t65 clients sign up for Medicare over the phone by calling social security. But now, I'm hearing that after waiting on hold for hours, when you finally reach someone, they can't sign you up for Medicare. But they can schedule ANOTHER phone appointment to do so. Why can't they just sign up there and then? They already have a rep on the line! Is this the way it has always been? In the past I've directed people to sign up through ss.gov, but I remember there being so many issues, that i stopped suggesting the online registration, and started suggesting calling instead. I think ss.gov needs to send a code to your email address, and you need to type the code in within a timeframe, but the code doesn't even reach your email inbox before the time runs out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes, the often schedule a follow up appointment. Its inefficient.

Thankfully, the online sign up has been simplified. Create a login at Login.gov and use that to sign up for medicare

If I'm not mistaken, I've had many t65 clients sign up for Medicare over the phone by calling social security. But now, I'm hearing that after waiting on hold for hours, when you finally reach someone, they can't sign you up for Medicare. But they can schedule ANOTHER phone appointment to do so. Why can't they just sign up there and then? They already have a rep on the line! Is this the way it has always been? In the past I've directed people to sign up through ss.gov, but I remember there being so many issues, that i stopped suggesting the online registration, and started suggesting calling instead. I think ss.gov needs to send a code to your email address, and you need to type the code in within a timeframe, but the code doesn't even reach your email inbox before the time runs out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Most offices are open and clients are able to just walk in and get it taken care of again. Online is an option, but there are sometimes issues (such as a wife obtaining Medicare based on a spouse's work history or a mismatch in demographic info). Calling in and waiting on hold to be scheduled an appointment 3-6 weeks out doesn't make sense at all, but that is how its working out.

I always suggests SSA.gov. No waiting in lines at the local office or making appointments, etc. Never have any issues with it (unless the person literally cant use a computer, then I tell them to call or go to local office).

I always suggests SSA.gov. No waiting in lines at the local office or making appointments, etc. Never have any issues with it (unless the person literally cant use a computer, then I tell them to call or go to local office).

I do the same. Most T65 are computer savvy and don't have much trouble.

I;ve recently helped 5 people do this.

Choose the have the code sent to their text.

I;ve recently helped 5 people do this.

Choose the have the code sent to their text.

I mean if youre helping them do it online.

SS office here is hit or miss. Depends on who is working. Some will help them, some set up a phone call at a later date.

When online and they get to the part to set up security, choose text also. Anything else creates headache. Only have them do one level of security or it's also a headache. Triggers a mailed code which may or may not arrive.

Back