Silac Downgrade and Hate

One of my largest regrets as a young agent is putting a client in a 14 year annuity.

I've apologized for that on an annual basis now for the past 11 years. Ever since they cut the participation rates by 50%.

Now, I know that carrier uses teaser rates. No way Silac is not using teaser rates. Time will tell... but it's a risk I would never take with someone else's money.

If they are younger, they would be hit with a 10% tax penalty. So they are basically stuck if that is the case.

If the policy happens to be non-qualified (basically not a traditional IRA or rollover IRA), there would still be a 10% tax penalty, but only on the interest earned. All interest comes out first, then principal. The principal (basis) would have no tax implication. Interest is taxed as ordinary income.

Just throwing that out there if it might help.

If the policy happens to be non-qualified (basically not a traditional IRA or rollover IRA), there would still be a 10% tax penalty, but only on the interest earned. All interest comes out first, then principal. The principal (basis) would have no tax implication. Interest is taxed as ordinary income.

Just throwing that out there if it might help.
Plus, you can do partial 1035 exchanges to avoid tax reporting. Likely not as important if the SILAC was funded recently with cash as likely not much gains yet. But if funded by a 1035 exchange of an older NQ annuity, could be sizeable deferred gains in contract

If SILAC is being downgraded is it because of their legacy LTC block of business?
They had a too good to be true option after 10 years of paying premiums policy is paid up at death for surviving spouse. Couple could take a 10% couple discount or the paid up survivor option.
Lifetime benefits with inflation rider were what most people took because it wasn't that much more than 5yr benefit.
The real kicker if you didn't take a Tax qualified plan with ADL triggers or cognitive impairment. Your Non Qualified plan used your Doctors orders to receive benefits.
Holy Cow everyone qualifies for care. SILAC has tried very hard to circumvent this , but if the agent or policyholder is aware of this game over pay the claim!
My guess is this is eating their lunch......
And for you that don't know this...... SILAC is a rehash of all the old Conseco management and ownership. For giggles and grins look up Stephen Hilbert.

Last edited:
If SILAC is being downgraded is it because of their legacy LTC block of business?
They had a too good to be true option after 10 years of paying premiums policy is paid up at death for surviving spouse. Couple could take a 10% couple discount or the paid up survivor option.
Lifetime benefits with inflation rider were what most people took because it wasn't that much more than 5yr benefit.
The real kicker if you didn't take a Tax qualified plan with ADL triggers or cognitive impairment. Your Non Qualified plan used your Doctors orders to receive benefits.
Holy Cow everyone qualifies for care. SILAC has tried very hard to circumvent this , but if the agent or policyholder is aware of this game over pay the claim!
My guess is this is eating their lunch......
And for you that don't know this...... SILAC is a rehash of all the old Conseco management and ownership. For giggles and grins look up Stephen Hilbert.
Downgraded because of high reinsurance leverage due to capital strain.......plus, the reinsurance leverage being used is with unrated reinsurance.

Hopefully SILAC didn't go big in mobile home lending like Conseco did when current SILAC CEO founded Conseco, took it public & took subsidiaries into Bankruptcy

Downgraded because of high reinsurance leverage due to capital strain.......plus, the reinsurance leverage being used is with unrated reinsurance.

Hopefully SILAC didn't go big in mobile home lending like Conseco did when current SILAC CEO founded Conseco, took it public & took subsidiaries into Bankruptcy
The perfect storm then. Getting hit from 2 directions.
Never could figure why anyone one would write their annuity with that checkered past ,and low rating. Better have some special E&O insurance that will cover B rated products.

Back