Specialty Legal Defense Insurance for Consumer Activist Websites (but Not As a Named Defendant)

Want2Buy

If I get subpoenaed to produce my computers because my ISP disclosed my identity as a subscriber in connection to a lawsuit without naming me as a defendant, my current insurance won't provide me with an attorney or money for an attorney. If I am a named defendant, then it will. I want to fill in the gap, how much will it cost for $50,000 of benefits for me to hire an attorney arising from a subpoena? Sometimes a third party (someone who isn't a party to the cause of action) is required to produce his computers. The attorneys representing one side want to take a copy of all hard drives and all emails. This can include private communications.

Again, I am only interested as a non-defendant and non-plaintiff or as an unnamed defendant (John Doe). Sometimes our computers allow for peer-to-peer communications. Sometimes lawsuits against John Does don't involve a named defendant. At this critical stage, an attorney could file a motion to quash or make an appearance as a John Doe. I want the policy to have no "exclusions for intentional acts of defamation." I'd also like the policy to cover revealing my identity if I had a website as well. There are website by proxy services. If I put up a website, there could be a subpoena notification that the website domain hosting services will graciously provide before complying with. Some proxy services have policies with their subscribers.

Is there a policy that provides a set amount of indemnification? It could be quite narrow for the event to happen. These events, in my opinion, are fairly narrowly circumscribed and relatively unlikely. They all involve not being a named defendant. They involve preserving my identity as a webmaster or subscriber to an ISP. One aspect of what I want is after my identity is revealed, I may not be named in the lawsuit but may be a third party witness with relevant computers. I would prefer to hire the attorney of my choice. But if the insurance company will hire only "reasonably qualified attorneys," that would work too.

I'm unaware of any company offering anything like this, maybe as an add on somewhere in a professional policy. You would be asking for something highly manuscripted for a very low limit and what I'm guessing low premium, in my experience most companies hate that. Your probably best off self-insuring this risk.

Latest posts

Back