Standard Life Vs Other STM or Non MEC Plans

Would STM pay out on a kidney stone surgery or brain cancer after 2 months on a new policy?
Which carriers ? I had an HCC STM
That did not pay out my kidney stone claim two months into a new policy

HCC STM policy says it will not cover "kidney disease".....and in a STM policy, I do not see that as an issue since you likely already would have had it when you applied. Kidney Stones is not considered kidney disease as a rule. A person prone to kidney stones would likely have a pre-ex issue with any carrier. If you never had one before....and the labs did not indicate you were likely to have one...then you have something to appeal IMHO.

This time of year, I will use STM plans as better than nothing when someone has missed the open enrollment for whatever reason....cost or ignorance. If they need coverage for the rest of the year, I will offer them a STM plan that goes longer than 6 months to avoid the potential issue that Bob pointed out. If there are no pre-ex issues......it seems to give the clients the peace of mind that they seek.....and it is generally a very affordable option, even with an ACA penalty thrown in at times.

Exactly right! Better than NOTHING. And a wise decision to not write a 6 month plan before July in any given year, while ObamaCare is still law.

Latest posts

Back