Stepping in on Day 1...

You're right Mark

Me as a Foot Dr. would never be able to talk basic biology or chemistry to a Dentist. Just as that Dentist would never recognize that infection. I believe that both of them would be able to provide something of value to an undergrad looking deeper into medicine instead of just telling them it's a "waste of time".

In one of the posts you made, you could have thrown out even the smallest bit of advice to a guy going in "Commercial" and left it at that but hey I understand this is how "The Forum" rolls.

Go reread that thread. I did give him advice on what to do in his interview. There is no way that guy is going to learn any measurable amount of commercial p&c before his interview. If he tries, he is going to make a fool of himself in there.

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm actually getting dumber by engaging with you.

As far as your question, I'll respond based on all the different types of insurance all different people on here sell in all different states.

Set up a website. Or don't.
Go door knocking, or cold calling, or both, or neither.
Set up an office, or don't.
Buy leads, or don't.
Watch webinars, or don't.
Work under someone else, or don't.
Before you start, be sure to learn the business for at least a few weeks. Or a few months. Or a few years. Or 5.
Buy software, or just use an excel doc, or both, or neither.
Buy sem, or seo, or neither.
When on appointments, be sure to carry a laptop, or an Ipad. Or both, or neither, or just a pad of paper, or not.
There are also a number of laws regulating what you can sell, and how you can advertise, or there aren't, or sometimes are, or sometimes not.
There are additional certifications or licenses needed to sell certain things or there aren't. Or there are, but they aren't really enforced. Or they are, or it depends, or one needs to call the DOI, or they don't.
Finally, there are a number of laws regulating who you can call, or there aren't any at all.

There, you've gotten a complete answer, jackass.

Last edited:
Even something as general as this could be gold for someone starting out.

How about "hey kid! Look into Agency Management Systems once you hit this. I like this one because of x. You might need a rater if you are in this segment....for x, I use this. For my business, I get most of my leads by doing x....I learned about them from source Y. Read book z, it changed my life. Get certification blah, I learned so much from them. My budget when I started was this but I wish I had this because I didn't know this." Is that so hard?
Are you trying to write your own book, b/c this reads like you're just fishing for content.

This forum has educated me and brought a ton of attention to lines that I didn't even know could help folks out.

Almost all of what you're asking is already here. You just need to use a little effort to search it all out.

No one is going to do your homework for you, but if you ask a few specific questions about a subject, you'll get answers.

This is for all the "Old Guys" in the forum. Let's imagine this is Day 1 of your Independent Insurance career. You have nothing but a freshly minted license and a gleam in your eye. After stopping by Office Depot to purchase the obligatory overpriced rubber trash can....your 40hr (or 60hr) workweek begins. The Insurance Forum Gods have shined favorably on you and you have every appointment you desire.

Now, it is time to "make a living". What are you doing in that first 40hrs to set your Agency on a path to success? I won't name a product you are selling, as this is YOUR path.....so answer as if this were you starting. What are you investing in? What software/systems? What's the budget? You buying leads? Website Development? Learning the mysteries of S E O? What do you know now that you wish you knew on your Day 1 ( back at the turn of the century)?

Start here.
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

Get some popcorn. You've got a lot of reading ahead of you.

I think my first day after getting a license I was googling how to get "appointed" - because I read somewhere that was important - and I was wondering exactly what that meant and if a vote was required. Is there a tribal council that I needed to go to? Should I hire a lawyer? Is there a pledge to recite?

I think my first day after getting a license I was googling how to get "appointed" - because I read somewhere that was important - and I was wondering exactly what that meant and if a vote was required. Is there a tribal council that I needed to go to? Should I hire a lawyer? Is there a pledge to recite?

Of course we all know, the most important thing is to learn the secret handshake, and knowing which secret handshake is for which type of insurance. No respectable tribal council will vote you in for an appointment unless you have the correct handshake for the correlated type of insurance. God help you if you use the wrong handshake when you meet with the lawyer. At that point it won't even matter if you have the pledge memorized or not.

15f27ef80d3ff21e49a133c4e6f097f6.gif

4c1d2fe38431510e25f5736bcfa4f252.gif

brooklyn-nine-nine-amy-and-rosa.gif

deffc456f1b7101356b431796c40fce4.gif

handshake-secret-handshake.gif

Back