Tax Treatment of Debit Balance Repayments?

Surely someone has dealt with this before and I don't need a tax adviser; I'll give it a shot.

I worked with a life insurance company mainly in 2009 and a total of $3000 of business ended up dropping off (long story). I stopped writing for this company. They came back in early 2012 and demanded repayment of this debit balance.

I already paid taxes on this $3000 of income from 2009. Since I repaid $2200 of that debit balance in 2012, shouldn't I be able to deduct that on this year's taxes?

Did you not take it off in 2012? You can amend 2012 or carry it to 2013, but you may need to ask a tax guy to be certain. I've never waited two years to apply it to income.

Sorry, I screwed up. New year and all.. I actually forgot that last year was 2013. So it was last year (2013) that I paid most of this balance back... so if I were to deduct it from income, it would be from my 2013 income. I use H&R Block at Home software, just not sure if I'm going to get a form in the mail (doubt it) or if I need to manually input it somewhere.

Back