The Complete ***'s Guide to Buying Insurance and Annuities

Is there some reason to put "tax-deferred inside of tax-deferred" that holds up to the scrutiny of what's best for the client?

What is it?

I think I could understand that argument better with a muni bond since you are actually sacrificing gains for tax avoidance. With a variable annuity, you aren't taking a smaller return (i.e. the small coupon on muni's) for the sake of a tax deferral, so there is no negative aspect to adding one to your IRA--except that you could better maximize your IRA contribution cap by keeping it out....but if all you have is 5-6k to invest each year then what's the difference?

I bet the book touted term insurance. Most of the books for the general public rehash the same old basic information.

You get the same type of thing with Dave Ramsey listeners.

I was reading through a Suzi Orman book the other day I bought for a dollar at a library sale.

The answer to this dilemma is quite simple.

In the future, successful producers won't waste time worrying about what others write, and trying to explain to potential clients why it's not "right".

They will simply write their own book.

This is a great thread! Coming from someone who didn't know much about annuities a few years ago, I can see the "***'s Guide" being helpful to learn the basics and some of the terms used.

I would surely hope that people would use common sense before they would take advice from such a book to actually purchase an annuity. Speaking with an expert, of course one whom you trust, is the only way to find the right annuity or insurance product for you.

There is a lot of helpful information about annuity products given by Annuity FYI. I have an agent who has done nothing buy help me understand the complexities of annuities. Learning the basics from any old source is great, but you really need an expert when you start talking about products!

This is a very good thread and I commend all of the posters for making it educational. I've been thinking how would I handle the situation. I would ask the prospect to tell me everything he learned from the book and could he buy from the author. I used the same type of answer in the car business when someone came in with a price from some service, "can you buy a car from them", or in the case of the trade in they quote the book and I'd ask them if they could sell the car to the publisher. Of course not to all the objections. We just can't believe everything we read and we can't believe everything we're told by a professional. How many quack doctors and dentists have you been to. There's idiots who practice law and slimy insurance agents. This is the facts of life. I believe that knowing the big picture, what the prospects wants and needs are, are paramount to any book. There's no doubt in my mind that it's mandatory to find out what the prospect knows first before opening your mouth with what you know. There has to be a casual conversation so the prospect discovers that you are a real person and not just the product of schooling. It's important in this day and age to speak about the marketplace and what the future may hold. One place I would never put money is in the stock market unless the person can get inside info or can manipulate a stock.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

This is a great thread! Coming from someone who didn't know much about annuities a few years ago, I can see the "***'s Guide" being helpful to learn the basics and some of the terms used.

I would surely hope that people would use common sense before they would take advice from such a book to actually purchase an annuity. Speaking with an expert, of course one whom you trust, is the only way to find the right annuity or insurance product for you.

There is a lot of helpful information about annuity products given by Annuity FYI. I have an agent who has done nothing buy help me understand the complexities of annuities. Learning the basics from any old source is great, but you really need an expert when you start talking about products!

Thanks for bumping a thread that is 2-1/2 years old!!!:mad:

One time while working with a client, I noticed he had the book "The Complete ***'s Guide to Buying Insurance and Annuities " in plan view.

Let me tell you that I didn't end up selling him.

I'm going to have to order this book to see what in the world they told him.

I bet who wrote it really knows nothing about Insurance or Annuities.

I've noticed a couple of books on amazon.com. I wonder how many clients read these books.

Amazon.com: The Complete ***'s Guide to Buying Insurance and Annuities: Brian H.; Breuel, Brian Breuel: Books

and

Amazon.com: Questions and Answers on Life Insurance: The Life Insurance Toolbook: Anthony Steuer: Books

What do you think about these kinds of books?

Might as well show what the old thread is about.

Many sites recommend the book "The Complete ***'s Guide to Buying Insurance and Annuities" along with "Guaranteed Income for Life: How Variable Annuities Can Cut Your Taxes, Pay You Every Year of Your Life, and Bring You Financial Peace of Mind," the first covers annuities and other insurance products.. I don't think there's something on there that makes people not want to buy annuities.

Back