Tyler Asher President of Liberty Mutual On Indemnify me Podcast. 28 mins

shawnmwalker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Colorado
In this week's very special episode of Insurance, You Indemnify Me, we welcome, the recently promoted EVP of Liberty Mutual Chief Distribution and Marketing Officer, Tyler Asher. Tyler's most recent role before his promotion was President of Independent Agent Distribution with oversight of Safeco, Liberty Mutual (Small Commercial), and State Auto Brands. Hang on for this fast 30-minute conversation as we get to know Tyler more personally, take a deep dive into the current state of the insurance market, explore its drivers, when it might end, and what winning agents are doing to adapt, with one of the brightest minds in our industry. We say this all the time, BUT this episode is one that YOU CANNOT MISS!

Time Stamps:
0:55 - Who is Tyler Asher?
2:40 - What was your first job?
3:30 - If an equation equaled a hard market, what would be the factors that went into that equation?
6:15 - Of those factors, which one is the most difficult to control?
8:10 - Carriers have done a lot so far, but how long will this hard market last?
10:10 - Is it safe to say the Auto line will get healthier than the Property line at a faster rate? 11:30 - Agents are in pain right now, what can we say to those agents?
15:30 - What are agencies doing to win in this hard market?
16:40 - How can an agency and a carrier prove extreme partnership at this time?
19:20 - What will we have learned as an industry after this hard market?
22:20 - Safeco/Liberty Mutual commercial.
26:00 - What would you tell young Tyler coming into the insurance industry.

Agents are in pain right now, what can we say to those agents?

Sorry, he gives too much credit to insureds. Paraphrasing here, "They'll remember your UVP of why they worked w/ an independent agent". This will apply to less than 10% of insureds.

When rates stabilize and they find $50 savings from State Farm, there's a cloud of smoke from how quickly they've run to the lower rate, no thank you or no memory of the work that we've done.

Safeco/Liberty Mutual commercial.

@shawnmwalker any chance they're appointing independent agents in Hawaii? We were told they weren't looking for additional business in Hawaii. Great interview!

Personally, I try not to sell on price. If I remind them on how much I've saved them, doesn't it then teach them that price is most important? I also write more new purchases and sub-standard business, than I do with replacing other coverage based on price. I actually do tell them to go to State Farm, Liberty Mutual, etc. when their substandard business becomes acceptable for a standard carrier. Just my weird quirks for how I run my business

Back