Unverifiable Driving Record -- How long does it last?

PurpleMangoes

Some backstory, at 18 I was about to head off to college and my parents insisted I get my license. I passed the test, and immediately after, was no longer allowed to drive because they didn't want to pay the high cost of insuring an eighteen year old male who's just got his license, since I'd be going to college in the city and would never be driving any vehicle. Fast forward six years, I've graduated and have a job, and finally decide to buy my own car so I can start driving again. At the dealership, I call the agent, and find that my situation's resulted in me having an 'unverifiable driving record' because there's no way of definitively showing that I never drove once since I got my license-- I'm now paying four times the average amount for auto insurance in my area, Baltimore, which on its own isn't great.

I stomached the high price at the time because I recognize that without any definitive record, I can't expect them to trust me to be a good driver. But fast forward another six months, I've been driving perfectly, and my actual record is spotless, save for that unverfiable driving record. I just got the renewal forms for the next six months, and they've only raised my rate even higher.

Obviously, I want to lower my rate in any way possible. My main question is just how long I should expect to be paying such an astronomically higher rate, before it starts to become apparent that I can drive and don't pose any special risks. Secondly, I really just want to know what else me or my parents should have done, because the situation as it stands just feels pretty unfair-- I don't understand why it wasn't an option for me to have a license, and for the insurance company to be aware that I wasn't actually ever driving. I don't expect any magic solutions here, I just want an explanation of what my options are/were.

1) You live in Baltimore
2) You had a license and chose not to inform your parent's carrier that there was an additional driver in the household (doesn't matter that you didn't drive) and for that omission you are paying a hefty price
3) Your rate should start to come down as you age past 26 coupled with 3 years of MVR records
4) Shop around. The state MAIF plan can be more affordable for many than the major carriers and your rate is for the year with no unexpected rate increase at 6 month renewals
5) What is unverifiable is you being on an insurance policy

FEDUP is correct. But something else in your post caught my attention...your use of the term “unfair” as it relates to your situation. It is not unfair. There are many factors that are used to calculate a risk and the premium needed to insure that risk. Auto insurance companies know that people with less than 5 years of driving experience are a higher risk. Your alternative was to start driving earlier.

You passed your test 6 years ago and the state had no reason to believe that you were not driving, nor did any insurer have any reason to believe you were not capable of picking up a set of keys and driving a vehicle. In the 6 years you were attending school did you NEVER drive a car, even on school break? You were a licensed driver who decided to cheat the system and not carry auto insurance.....even if you were not driving

Divide your annualized premium by 6 and you'll find that the average annual premium for 6 years would have been fairly reasonable. The insurance industry is recovering the money it should have been paid during the 6 years you weren't on anybody's auto insurance policy.

That being said, I agree that you should shop at every renewal. There's always another insurance company out their with lower rates.

In fact, the MD Dept of Ins publishes a rate comparison guide that will give you leads to lower priced coverage.

https://insurance.maryland.gov/Consumer/Documents/publications/AutoRateGuide2019.pdf

You'll still be charged as an inexperienced operator (the proper term) for a couple of years but maybe at a lower cost than you pay now.

Some backstory, at 18 I was about to head off to college and my parents insisted I get my license. I passed the test, and immediately after, was no longer allowed to drive because they didn't want to pay the high cost of insuring an eighteen year old male who's just got his license, since I'd be going to college in the city and would never be driving any vehicle. Fast forward six years, I've graduated and have a job, and finally decide to buy my own car so I can start driving again. At the dealership, I call the agent, and find that my situation's resulted in me having an 'unverifiable driving record' because there's no way of definitively showing that I never drove once since I got my license-- I'm now paying four times the average amount for auto insurance in my area, Baltimore, which on its own isn't great.

I stomached the high price at the time because I recognize that without any definitive record, I can't expect them to trust me to be a good driver. But fast forward another six months, I've been driving perfectly, and my actual record is spotless, save for that unverfiable driving record. I just got the renewal forms for the next six months, and they've only raised my rate even higher.

Obviously, I want to lower my rate in any way possible. My main question is just how long I should expect to be paying such an astronomically higher rate, before it starts to become apparent that I can drive and don't pose any special risks. Secondly, I really just want to know what else me or my parents should have done, because the situation as it stands just feels pretty unfair-- I don't understand why it wasn't an option for me to have a license, and for the insurance company to be aware that I wasn't actually ever driving. I don't expect any magic solutions here, I just want an explanation of what my options are/were.
Get married and your premium will go down. Make sure she drives so you can get a multi car discount. :yes:

Small followup, thanks for the advice everybody-- really appreciate getting some unbiased insight on all this, and I'll probably spend some time shopping around at the next renewal. I know there's not an easy solution, I mostly just wanted to know how long I should expect to pay the same rate, rather than just blindly taking what Progressive gives me/letting the costs rise with no explanation. Based on all your info, I think I should be through the worst of it after this year, so thanks for the shred of hope!
Legally, I know there's nothing 'unfair' about my situation and that it's the system working as intended by charging me more, I'm just surprised that it's not more common for young people dealing with college to not have the money for auto insurance they won't be using, especially with how much higher it is for younger drivers. Yes, unbelievable as it may sound, I stayed in downtown Baltimore for almost the entirety of my college life and never once needed to get behind the wheel, and with the high costs of tuition, my parents just couldn't handle the added cost of having me on their plan, so I guess now I'm taking that cost on myself all these years later.

It baffles me when young drivers blame their parents for not paying for the increased premium for adding the young driver. I am 60, got my first real job at 15. Paid mom & dad $25 per week for auto insurance as soon as I was licensed. I was making 1.90 per hour.

It baffles me when young drivers blame their parents for not paying for the increased premium for adding the young driver.

May not have come across correctly however, this gave me a 'really?' moment... ".... and with the high costs of tuition, my parents just couldn't handle the added cost of having me on their plan, so I guess now I'm taking that cost on myself all these years later. "

My youngest is in school now. We cover her tuition, insurance and cell. She has a job and covers most of her other expenses. She very rarely asks for anything. She is 20. We covered the boys insurance and cell until they graduated boot camp at age 19, then it was man thirty.

I give an insurance class to a driver's ed school. Every young driver in every class has a cell phone, or a tablet. Many have beats head phones. Most do not have a job. $25 per week will cover a $600 premium for 6 months. No excuses!

Back