Urgent Care is Cash Only, no Insurance

. Georgia us NOT a PIP state,.

Med pay coverage outline quoted in post #19 which extends coverage to those injured in an accident, including the insured. Med pay is not mandated in GA and I wouldn't think the triage nurse would ask for a copy of the auto insurance policy to determine if they had med pay or not.

Regardless, the patient (or her father) mentioned the injury was sustained in an auto accident which means a third party payer (auto insurance in this case) was a possibility and something they would rather avoid.

This location (Atrium) lists the insurance plans accepted.

I must have missed it on their site . . . I never found a list of accepted insurance. However it really doesn't matter in this case and obfuscates the declaration that they don't treat patients with injuries in an auto accident.

Frankie got a CT scan of her head and body in the emergency room, tests KHN confirmed she couldn’t have gotten at the urgent care center regardless of whether the test was medically necessary or just part of a protocol for people in car wrecks who complain of a headache.

It’s not uncommon for urgent care centers — even ones in large health systems — to turn away people who have been in car wrecks because of the complications that car insurance settlements create.

Although urgent care visits are less expensive than going to an emergency room, the clinics often can’t offer the same level of care. And you might have to pay the cost of an urgent care visit just to find out you need follow-up care in the emergency room. Then you could be stuck with two bills.
https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/urgent-care-emergency-room-car-wreck-bill/

If anyone wants to litigate this further, I suggest you contact the legal department for Atrium Health.

Back