USAA Rates and Loyalty Discount

JamesInSR

Background: I've had pretty incredible rates and history with American National (smaller in the P&C space, bigger in life). Any time I've shopped around, nobody came even close. I opened my USAA membership (through family) 2 years ago. Looking at moving P&C insurance to them: Long story short, the net of it all is about +$500/year for 3 autos (2 drivers...3rd one will turn 16 later this year) and rental home insurance.

What kind of loyalty (or "length of membership") discount can I expect from USAA after being insured with them for 1...2...3 years? Neither of the agents at USAA will tell me anything about how much I might expect, but I'm committing to spending hundreds more a year and would like to at least get to "even" in a few years with what I spend today.

If it were just about $$$, the answer is easy (stay with Amer Nat'l), but it's not. In the long run (10+ years), I think USAA will be better for my family and my kids, especially if I ever have a claim. Amer Nat doesn't seem to have good reputations in that regard, and I've only had one claim ever and it went "fine."

@JamesInSR USAA is a direct writer (no outside agents). While you COULD ask other policyholders, I would not rely on that information.

If you don't think you are getting good advice from USAA then you might consider staying where you are.

Your rates will be going up over time, not down. That's going to be true with any carrier. Don't be banking on reduced rates in the future because you are a long time customer.

@JamesInSR USAA is a direct writer (no outside agents). While you COULD ask other policyholders, I would not rely on that information.

If you don't think you are getting good advice from USAA then you might consider staying where you are.

Agreed, do not think that many agent on this forum are going to be able to give much help as it relates to USAA.

Not sure where I see the value in spending "hundreds more a year" for an 800 number insurance company. Are they giving you much better coverage? I have seen plenty of underinsured USAA policy holders over the years.

Did you get a quote with Jr added as a driver? They hate Young drivers, at least here in AZ.

Longevity discount, that is funny!

Back