Volvo Totaled- how to negotiate with insurance co.

FraserJim

Our 2006 Volvo XC70 was stolen and recovered. We are original owners, no accidents, excellent condition. So we want to keep. In initial call, before recovery, claim agent said that if recovered, we would want to test for drugs to determine if repairable. It was recovered and towed to shop with damage to lock and a fog light. I asked for drug test.

Repair costs are well below ACV - 25%. Insurance Co wants to add the $986 for tow and drug test to estimate which puts it slightly over their limit. So they want to total. Is this reasonable and how do I contest?

I have towing insurance with them and I said to take towing out of that coverage. No response.

Advice?

The insurance co. recommended that the car be tested for drug residue that may harm future occupants. Initial test showed trace amount of meth. $2,550 to clean and retest.

The insurance co. recommended that the car be tested for drug residue that may harm future occupants. Initial test showed trace amount of meth. $2,550 to clean and retest.
Sorry, I just noticed your response. Not sure how I missed that. So it looks like the "repairability" just has to do with the total loss calculations, including the drug testing + cleaning.

I've always found abducting the claim adjusters family and holding them for ransom at gun point to be a powerful negotiation tactic. Thankfully in Oregon, felons can still sell insurance. Just kidding.... for now... This State is wild.

Anywho... BRING IN @adjusterjack
hq720.jpg

Insurance Co wants to add the $986 for tow and drug test to estimate which puts it slightly over their limit.

No. That's a claim expense, not indemnification for your loss. It has to be kept separate.

$2,550 to clean and retest.

Cleaning to remove the drug residue is part of the damage indemnification. The cost of the retest is another part of the expense and should be separate.

A steam cleaner and shop vac could have done the same thing for $100.

A car owner can take that risk. An insurance company subject to public health regulations cannot.

I have towing insurance with them and I said to take towing out of that coverage. No response.

Not going to happen. Your towing coverage is for you. Towing after a loss is the insurance company's expense.

If you want to keep the vehicle, ask for it. If there is a process that would allow you to do so, they will tell you.

Back