Would Like To Start LTCi Sales in TX

grod,

Being a successful LTCI expert is a lot like rocket science I think.

There's not a lot of rocket scientist's in this world either.

Did you place over $150,000 LTCI last year?

If I had placed that amount of business, it would mean I would have already transitioned into the business and there would have been no need to make the original post. I make my living in the medsup world. As I said, it's not rocket science, just trying to avoid the landmines with contracting.

Some carriers provide excellent support, and others don't. When you are just getting into LTCi, it is really helpful to have someone to call with the many questions you will encounter before, during, and after each sale. If you are with an agency that provides this support, and you are being trained by those who sell it, you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. If not, you need a carrier that provides strong support. Either way, jumping in without any help is pretty hard.

It is definitely not easy, but it is easier than a lot of products. We sell quite a bit of it, and many agents who used to sell mostly life, are now selling mostly LTCi. Great commissions and renewals, excellent retention, etc.

The media helps sell it, you can print articles from various celebrities who tell everyone to buy it. Even certain shows on CNN push it.

Here is a link to a helpful article that has helped many agents we work with sell LTCi:

Long-Term Care Insurance - Suze Orman Financial Advice - Oprah.com

Best luck to you!

It is extremly difficult for a med sup person to become a LTCI person. Two totally different types of sales. Medd sup is logical. LTCI is very emotional. As a matter of fact. After 11 years of LTCI sales, I have not yet met a medd supp person that could sell LTCI successfully. I have hired and tried to train many of them. But hey, that is just one guys experience. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

I will almost agree with you. I am a Med Supp guy and have sold a lot of LTCI to existing Med Supp clients.

I did a stint where I tried prospecting for LTCi and didn't like it at all.

LTCi is probably the toughest product I have ever tried to sell when prospecting. It is relatively easy to a Med Supp client who has the money.

Regardless of my background, LTCi is probably the last of the products I would choose to focus on. You obviously have found out how to make it work for you. My hat is off to you if that is the main product you are selling. After doing Med Supps I may not have the patience for it.

Actually, after 11 years of it off and on, I am backing off somewhat,and going into med supps, life, critical illness, annuities, etc, because it has become almost impossible to find prospects in the last few years. Thankfully, I have sold enough over they years that the renewals are good. It is the highest persistentcy product in this business. I wouldn't recommend anyone leaving anything to specialize in LTCI. Quite the opposite. I am getting into med supps to try to find the market for LTCI. What you are saying in exactly right, hence my earlier statement saying selling LTCI is kind of like rocket science. :nah:

I read a lot of these types of threads that talk about about selling one type of policy over another or whether a certain type of selling is logical or emotional. I would like to point out that if you are looking at selling products, you are going to be hindering yourself from the start. The product information and what it can do is really for you to know so you can offer a solution to a problem or a concern. FYI, all sales are logical and emotional and the better you are at using both to close a sale, the better. They are not mutually exclusive of each other and they are not methods in which one sells but, tools. You use them to negotiate a convorsation with your client about them not about a product, yourself, what you can/cant do, or a decision they should/shouldnt make, or incite dread or fear into coercing them to purchase. Many agents... MOST agents, sell this way and I have seen dozens burn in that wreckage. Good salesmen know how to carry a convorsation about things that matter to clients, the solution ends with trust and the yield is a packaged solution.

Back