You Thought Insurance Policy Language was both Tricky yet Important [Wait till you read this]

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hundreds of times over insurance agents, claims reps, underwriters have come across coverages that depended on definitions, commas, and exact wording. Sure that could mean that your claim went unpaid, but could you imagine a simple misstatment meant your religion was at stake?

From CBS News: "A Catholic priest in Phoenix has resigned from his position after a church investigation found he had been incorrectly performing baptisms over his 20-year career — rendering the rite invalid for thousands of people....
the Rev. Andres Arango would say, "We baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

But Father Arango misstated one word: "We baptize" should have been "I baptize." And getting that word wrong nullified all of the rituals he performed using that language. ...

"If you were baptized using the wrong words, that means your baptism is invalid, and you are not baptized," Olmsted wrote in a message to parishioners. "You will need to be baptized." Mind you not rebaptized, but baptized as in for the first time.

Source.

Long Story short, its not just insurance contracts and wording that counts.

Did you get this @InsCommentary ?

That's why, for LDS baptisms, we have two witnesses in addition to a presiding authority to verify that our ordinances (which must be done word-for-word) are performed precisely.

Being the Catholic skeptic that I am, this is more likely a money grab by the church because of the wrong verbiage.

Dont tread on me

Yup.

"The snake was an established symbol for America at the time. Benjamin Franklin notably used it, saying the rattlesnake never backed down when provoked, which captured “the temper and conduct of America.”

The tread in Gadsden’s defiant phrase, don’t tread on me, means “to step, walk, or trample so as to press, crush, or injure something.” And so, with its tongue flicked, fangs out, and body coiled in defense, the rattlesnake (and motto) warns: “If you dare put your foot down on me, I will strike.”"

https://www.dictionary.com/e/pop-culture/dont-tread-on-me/

Back