25 year old needs short term health insurance policy

Dec 5, 2007

1. loginname

loginname Expert

I normally don't sell health insurance, but I need to help a client's son. He is going off of their medical plan because he turns 25 at the end of December. I know an agent who sells health so I'll probably split the case with him.

My client is a 25 yr old male with no medical problems, no pre-existing conditions, and height weight are great. He's looking for a $1000 deductible policy to cover him until he gains employment after law school in 8-9 months.

Which companies should I look at? I ran some quotes on Assurant's website. Will they appoint me for probably just one case? Do they have good rates? What other resources should I look at? The premium appears to be about $100/month for the coverage we are seeking. What does a health agent get paid on something like this?

Inform me!

Thanks

2. TXINSURANCE

TXINSURANCE Guru

I personally would advise against short term.

What if he DOESN'T gain employment? What if has a major sickness or accident during this period and his short term runs out and he can't buy another one?

There are a lot of "what if" scenarios that could be a problem.

We sell short term if someone is certain group benefits will kick in or we pair with a long term that might get stuck in underwriting.

I think people buy short term for all the wrong reasons most of the time. It is certainly an option, but I had someone's father call me from a hospital lobby saying their child is having diabetic shock and the short term runs out tomorrow "can I buy another one?"....

Or... someone bought a short term, because they were "getting a job"... they never got the job. In the meantime they had a MAJOR skiing accident - it was all paid for by the short term, but they had a VERY hard time getting IFP with the recent issue, everyone was declining them.

For a 25 year old - I would argue in this scenario get IFP , play it safe and cancel anytime.

3. somarco

somarco GA Medicare Expert

State:
    Georgia
    STM is for folks who KNOW they have a job with benefits waiting for them, preferably in 90 days or less. You can also use it when your client will not qualify for a traditional major med plan (since underwriting rules are more relaxed).

I agree with TX. Write a regular major med.

As for splitting the case, unless you are in a high premium area, forget the split. There is not enough commission in a 25 yr old to split. You will earn more in good will by giving it away than you will by asking for a split.

I have quite a few 25 yr olds on the books. Those $10 -$15 monthly commissions add up but nothing worth splitting.

Stick to what you know best and rather than asking for a split cultivate the relationship in hopes of getting reverse referrals.

I give away all my Med Supp business to another agent and he returns the favor in kind. It is a good working relationship for both of us.

somarco, Dec 5, 2007
  4. loginname

loginname Expert

I'm going to refer this to another agent most likely. Who do you think he will suggest for major med or 12 month short term in Minnesota?