4 Recent Claims, Will I Get Canceled?

cqljohn

Having real bad luck in the last few months. I've been with my carrier (Farm Bureau) for 11 years without any major claims, without any claims at all in the last 6 or so years. About 6 months ago, I called and reported a claim after my car side window was busted by thieves in a parking lot, and at the same time I filed a claim for a busted windshield (rock from the interstate) that happened about a month earlier that I hadn't reported. So both windows were fixed under my comprehensive ($100 deductable each claim).

Back in December I went out of town, stayed in a motel, got up to leave, car won't start, dead battery. I ended up having to call and get a boost (cost $55.00, I'm in the wrong line of work BTW). I've had roadside coverage for 11 years and never used it, so I thought I'd turn in and recover my cost ($50.00 max). Done deal, got $50.00 back.

Two weeks ago, leaving for work and a deer runs out in front of me, got front bumper cover, fog light, headlight, right front fender, drivers front (had to replace) and drivers rear door (repairable). About $4,000 worth of damage. This is being repaired under my comprehensive ($100 deductable).

My policy is laying here on my desk for renewal, due by March 1st. Do you think they will kill the policy when I send the check in? I've gotten homeowners with the same company (11 years, no claims), 2 life polices with them (haven't used obviously as I type this message), and the auto policy. My wife and I both have a clean driving record, just a line of bad luck. Just worried they will cancel, or jerk the price of the policy up.

I'll give you a California answer, not sure it will translate 100% to Tennesee, since different states have different rules. My guess is, it will be pretty accurate though...

You will not be 'cancelled'. Worse case, you will be non-renewed, meaning it will end only at the end of a policy period, probably Sept 1. Given the claims you describe (all 4 comprehensive, 3 extremely minor), it is unlikely you will even be non-renewed.

The jumpstart is a non-issue. Carriers view roadside service claims separate from other type of claims. This really puts you at 3 claims.

The 2 glass repairs tend not to be an issue with carriers. They do tend to look at this over time. Don't worry about these.

The deer is a true claim for you. Fortunately, its a comprehensive claim, not a collision claim (most people don't realize this). Because its comprehensive, the incident should not even be rated to your policy (again, state rules may be different here).

I wouldn't worry about being non-renewed. It might happen, but doubtful. If you were looking to switch carriers, these would come up and you would have to explain them, but beyond that, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Dan

I wouldn't worry about being non-renewed. It might happen, but doubtful. If you were looking to switch carriers, these would come up and you would have to explain them, but beyond that, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Dan

I am also not licensed in Tennessee but the same would hold true for all the states that I am licensed in. Bottom line I wouldn't let it worry you. It could cause your rate to go up some but more than likely it won't much at all. Some companies use Comp claims for discount levels and such…so it can have an slight factor but I have never seen with any major companies it play a huge factor in your renewal rate. There are some smaller carriers that I have seen charge more on renewals for comprehensive claims over $1k…but even then not that much. Now if you were coming in at new business that would be a little different...but on a renewal you should be good. If they do non renew you…I would make sure that they did file the claims correctly. I have seen some people that have been non renewed with their old carrier and after reviewing their non renewal for them their old company had filed the claim as a not at fault collision and not a comprehensive loss so that was why...When I first started in the business and I was issuing my grandmother’s policy two losses pulled one as a at fault accident, and one as a not at fault accident on her CLUE and I called to find out what was going on State Farm had listed it wrong and it was actually another insured that ran a stop sign and hit her car so it should not have been listed as an at fault claim on her…the other was a windshield that was a comp loss…so that can happen.

Good Luck!

My advice is to quit turning in chickenshit claims.
Also go shop your life insurance rates with a real life insurance company. Don't buy life insurance from a company that sells car insurance.

Also go shop your life insurance rates with a real life insurance company. Don't buy life insurance from a company that sells car insurance.

LOL! Boy I know a lotta a-holes that could use this advise!

Nothing wrong with the claims he submitted. That's what he pays his premium for.

Auto insurance isn't like life insurance where you only get to file one claim during the life of the policy. It's also not like health insurance where you pay excessively more to be able to file smaller comprehensive claims.

Basically, he pays so he can file these claims, so he might as well as file. It's there to be used.

Dan

I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from with this statement. Are you saying companies that sell auto insurance are less capable of paying a life claim?

I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from with this statement. Are you saying companies that sell auto insurance are less capable of paying a life claim?

Farm Bureau of Tennessee is not exactly the most competitive company out there. Also, a number of their agents sell UL policies and tell people its WL.

What I mean is in general that P&C companies are not usually very competitive on life insurance. The agents as a general rule OFFER life insurance but often don't know much about it.

There can be exceptions though.

I usually agree with Newby but not in this case. There is nothing wrong with the claims you turned in. This should not affect you rates or renewal.

However, Newby is correct in that P&C agents are not usually the most knowledgeable about life insurance and often as captive agents do not have access to the best product.

Back