600K Medicare beneficiaries’ data accessed in breach

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
The personal information of 612,000 Medicare beneficiaries were accessed in a sweeping data breach that affected what could be hundreds of organizations, including the government contractor, Maximus Federal Services.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced in a press release Friday that it is notifying people affected by the data breach, which could have affected information including beneficiaries, names, Social Security numbers, medical histories, diagnoses and other personal details.

No CMS or Health and Human Services systems have been affected, according to the CMS.

CMS and Maximus, a CMS contractor that assists in the Medicare appeals process, are sending letters to those “potentially affected” and are offering recipients two years of free credit monitoring services.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...dicare-beneficiaries-data-accessed-in-breach/

I got a notification of that breach as well. The most interesting thing to me in the CMS article was that some Medicare Beneficiaries will automatically be receiving new cards and numbers.

The MOVEit breach also affected a service company of a large financial services company I have accounts with. Their offered free credit monitoring service is with a different, and more interesting looking, company than the service Maximus is offering.

Compromises from the moveit breach continue to be discovered.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - MOVEit, the biggest hack of the year, by the numbers | TechCrunch

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Analysis: MOVEit hack spawned over 600 breaches but is not done yet -cyber analysts
From Reuters article:
Cl0p, which didn't return Reuters' messages, seems to be trying to up its game. Late last month it created websites specifically intended to better spread stolen data. Earlier this week it started sharing the data via peer-to-peer networks.

Back