AARP Aetna Essential Plans

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Got a client looking to bail on a Monogram plan to save $20/mo and pick up the Aetna 3000 Preventive & Hospital from AARP. Finally got tired of trying to explain she would be trading a comprehensive plan for half a plan. Found this on CBS but no way to really verify if the following is accurate or not.

These health plans have four features worth noting:

* Unhealthy Conditions: Although AARP/Aetna asks you all the medical questions other insurers do, you’re more likely to get affordable coverage than with competitors if you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or are overweight. That’s because AARP is more forgiving. “We have made accommodations around those common medical conditions,” says Ann Bryan, an Aetna vice president who manages the AARP program. As the comparison below shows, a healthy person won’t necessarily pay more with AARP than with other insurers, however.
* Medical History: AARP/Aetna looks into your medical history for pre-existing conditions over only the past five years, not the industry-standard 10 years. This can be advantageous if you, say, had a heart attack more than five years ago and are fully recovered

So, if I had a heart attack 5 years ago, have stents and take Warfarin I can get coverage under this plan?

What is the definition of "fully recovered"? Does that mean no treatment?

Sure you can sell those.

Ehealthinsurance has a contract to sell em.

Maybe, maybe not. I contracted with AARP/Aetna to sell the Essential plans a couple of years ago. As it turns out, they decided to not offer the plans through independent agents in KS. No problem (I thought)... I'll just sell them in MO, where they would. NADA... AARP said they would not allow non-resident agents to sell their products. No one sent Aetna the memo... Aetna then informed me that they would contract with me directly to sell their company plans, and I am glad I took them up on it.

A couple of months later AARP pulled ALL the Individual/Family plans, including those underwritten by UHC (which were limited benefit plans).

If they are back at it again, they can do so without me. I am not sure they will ever get their act together.

AARP cut's deals to benefit them, not their members. This is not the first time AARP/Aetna has come up. Lost a case last month, not to Aetna but World.

Prospect had health issues. Nothing serious, but enough to warrant a few riders. While in underwriting and waiting on the APS they went to AARP. The AARP agent applied to Aetna who rejected the applicant, then came back & applied to World who issued a standard policy (no rider).

Yeah, that will come back to bite them.

Back to AARP/Aetna, the product apparently has some minor differences from the street version. Improvements and a slightly higher price. It is the CBS take on underwriting which has piqued my curiosity. Can't believe anything beyond 5 years is fair game.

Dayton, is Aetna underwriting on AARP major med really that loose? Anything beyond 5 years is a non-issue?

Dayton, is Aetna underwriting on AARP major med really that loose? Anything beyond 5 years is a non-issue?
Yes. That loose. I had one 59 yr old woman that had been declined by all my carriers, some twice. I had heard rumors @ AARP/Aetna having liberal underwriting. I referred her to AARP.org and she applied online. This was before I contracted. She was approved with a 50% rate up. I also referred a couple of other declined people that were also approved. That was enough proof for me.

Also...who do you go through to sell the Aetna AARP plans? Aetna?
The recent storm knocked out our office power again today starting at 10AM. Still not back on at 8PM. I live in the country and I still have power.
I think I use my AARP writing #. I also have a Aetna direct writing # which is different.
I believe my ability to write age 50-64 AARP/Aetna is through the same FMO that my med supp contract is through, Premier Senior Marketing. I need to talk with my younger brother. He handles all our office commission contracting etc.

DS4, I am in CA and have lost a couple of people to AARP/Aetna as their premium was lower that what I could offer. How can you join them?

Back