AARP called out for marketing limited benefit plans

I understand AARP gives discounts for multiple purchases (which sounds like a rebate). Do they give a discount if you buy Med Supp plus limited benefit? How does that work if they're only for ages 50-64?

Last edited:
AARP has plans (other than med supp) for folks under 65. In some states they offer real major med but don't expect to get a "deal".

You still have to pass underwriting.

You can still be rated, ridered or declined.

All I know about AARP is that they are not selling insurance, they are endorsing insurance companies: Agents from AIL will sell Secure Horizons, United Health Care, and New York Life.

Last year in the fall, they had a Secure Horizons booth set up in the general entry area of Wal Mart during OEP.

Last edited:
What's interesting is they did an investigation and 2 out of 3 AARP agents only offered the limited plans. Will be interesting to see how it plays out however AARP already suspended sales.

Last fall, I did the certification for the AARP 50-64 plans. They were grouped as "Essential", "Essential Plus", and "Essential Premier". UHC provided underwriting for Essential and Essential Plus, and Aetna underwrote Essential Premier. UHC's products were limited benefit plans, while Aetna's is major medical. This seemed a bit too obfuscating to me.

Anyway, as it turns out I was denied appointment because AARP would not allow non-resident agents to sell their products. This was long after I had contracted and certified. UHC knew nothing about this, only Aetna picked up on it and discussed it with me. I was not "dis-appointed" (pun intended).:laugh:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All I know about AARP is that they are not selling insurance, they are endorsing insurance companies: Agents from AIL will sell Secure Horizons, United Health Care, and New York Life.

Last year in the fall, they had a Secure Horizons booth set up in the general entry area of Wal Mart during OEP.

Agents are forbidden to say that "AARP endorses" any of these products! They are only co-branding the products.... IOW selling their name. This is splitting hairs and only fodder for attorneys, IMHO.

Last edited:
I have been writing their med-supps here in Florida for about a year...got certified to write their "essential" series...ordered supplies and before they came in, got an email they were pulling the products. Now I know why....

OOPS!

Back