Abstaining from Alcohol Before Blood Test

carroll

Guru
100+ Post Club
Kansas
Maybe this has been posted...dont' know. I'm trying to insure a "party" guy. How long should he stop drinking before doing his blood test? He isn't a drug user but drinks a 6 pack prob 4-5 nights a week. I've told him to stop for at lest 3 days prior or he will be rated up......any thoughts?

Elevated liver enzymes don't drop in a few days. Maybe trying to help a party dude beat the underwriting system isn't the same as a lawyer trying to get a rapist off on a technicality, but it still hits me wrong. It's the same as agents asking how to help a prospect beat the tobacco thing.

Elevated liver enzymes don't drop in a few days. Maybe trying to help a party dude beat the underwriting system isn't the same as a lawyer trying to get a rapist off on a technicality, but it still hits me wrong. It's the same as agents asking how to help a prospect beat the tobacco thing.

I refused a friend on life insurance because he was going to stop chewing tobacco 2 weeks before his blood test....I told him it would show up and I wasn't going to lie on the app. He went with another friend, nicotine didn't show up and he and his wife both got great rates.....I lost a sale and about $1,600 in commission. I'm not trying to beat the system, I just thought it would be a good idea to abstain from alcohol a few days before the test.....I had another guy get turned down.....tested the day he got back from a 3 day drunk in Vegas!

I refused a friend on life insurance because he was going to stop chewing tobacco 2 weeks before his blood test....I told him it would show up and I wasn't going to lie on the app. He went with another friend, nicotine didn't show up and he and his wife both got great rates.....I lost a sale and about $1,600 in commission. I'm not trying to beat the system, I just thought it would be a good idea to abstain from alcohol a few days before the test.....I had another guy get turned down.....tested the day he got back from a 3 day drunk in Vegas!
I understand your point, but I believe the guy who chewed prior to getting great rates is a fluke. We all have to follow our own moral compass on these issues. Your guy who is drinking 30 beers a week has bigger problems than what kind of life insurance rate he qualifies for.

Your buddy who chews, committed fraud. In the old days upon death, when insurance companies found out, they just paid a smokers death benefit. In my state they stopped that and just had companies return premium instead as lying on the application is considered fraud. So tell your friedn good luck with that because if there's a record (health, auto, home) where he is documented as a tobacco user...

As for your other friend, tell him to avoid beers the night before, but basically he is on his own... The more you try to help him pass his exam, the more responsible you become. Most agent's pages ask if you know anything that would effect underwriting, sounds like you do.

While I understand the loss of commission sucks. All of us here understand that... You should realize that loss of commission REALLY sucks when you have to give it back.

And if your buddy ratted you out, prison is a possibility. Nothing is worse than an agent pissing off an insurance company by illegal acts... they are relentless and always seek the highest penalties, just to make sure the other agents tow the line.

I understand your point, but I believe the guy who chewed prior to getting great rates is a fluke. We all have to follow our own moral compass on these issues. Your guy who is drinking 30 beers a week has bigger problems than what kind of life insurance rate he qualifies for.

I agree....I know the other man who sold him life insurance knew he chewed tobacco 24/7 so I'm assuming he turned his head the other way to make the sale.....it wasn't worth it to me.....I'm fairly new to the business and dont' want to lose my license!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Not as long as you do not exceed 5 nights in a row.:goofy:

I know a lot of people who drink that and more. One of my clients is a Doctor and I swear he puts away a 6 pack every day!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Your buddy who chews, committed fraud. In the old days upon death, when insurance companies found out, they just paid a smokers death benefit. In my state they stopped that and just had companies return premium instead as lying on the application is considered fraud. So tell your friedn good luck with that because if there's a record (health, auto, home) where he is documented as a tobacco user...

As for your other friend, tell him to avoid beers the night before, but basically he is on his own... The more you try to help him pass his exam, the more responsible you become. Most agent's pages ask if you know anything that would effect underwriting, sounds like you do.

While I understand the loss of commission sucks. All of us here understand that... You should realize that loss of commission REALLY sucks when you have to give it back.

And if your buddy ratted you out, prison is a possibility. Nothing is worse than an agent pissing off an insurance company by illegal acts... they are relentless and always seek the highest penalties, just to make sure the other agents tow the line.

I hope I'm not crossing the line by telling folks to lay off the beers for a few days. I've also told people to "Eat Clean" before their test....lay off fast food, fried foods, etc. Again, I wasn't trying to beat the system, I was looking at it as a way to get my clients the best rates.

Last edited:
Back