Add your parents to your health insurance plan? California says maybe.

The bill is particularly appealing to those that aren't entitled to free Medicare A and could obtain coverage through Ocare by being added to the children's policy.

I have actually written Ocare on people that were over 65 and not entitled to Medicare, and they do receive the subsidy. A bill like this could actually be good for families that have aging parents in an uncomfortable financial position.

It's only broadening the family coverage to include parents as dependents. It makes perfect sense, if the parents are dependents. I see no reason to object to this item. However, opinions are only opinions.

Bill3173, I believe you, and the others who have opined, are missing an important issue here. For the most part, those "parents" who are eligible for Medicare will enroll in Medicare, give or take a few. But the real issue here are the parents who are not Medicare eligible and will wind up on the group plans. This is a give-away to voters, who will be allowed to drop their Individual plans, or higher cost group plans, and transfer to the kids plan. Their savings can be significant. The additional costs to private employer plans would be significant.

Back