Advice for one woman show

Humana has a Coverage First plan that I am partial to. The price usually falls between a copay plan and HSA. I offer it as a bridge to HSA and a way to wean groups off the copay.

Other than that, I agree. Not much exciting out there, especially in the under 50 market.

You can certainly get into split benefits with as few as 4 employees with some carriers. Sounds nice but usually doesn't work out as well with the really small groups.

Different ways to jazz it up and be something other than an agent whose pitch is "if I could save you 10% would you buy from me?".

I am a one woman show, and love every minute of it. :) However I don't think starting a succesful agency has anything to do with sex..sometimes it helps :)

I usually go after small business in the construction arena, manufacturing companies, etc. they seem to like doing business with me more than the HR directors. Just KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS well, and find ways to cut cost's in this economy, there are plenty of ways to do that. I also offer service that my competitors do not. I handle EVERYTHING for the client, all they have to do is pay the bill... and I even deal with billing issues.

If you want to be succesful in ANY business you have to set yourself apart from your competition, market like a BULL, and know your products.

Also look in to going to local woman's group, like ABWA.

Thanks for all of your comments! I am in Oklahoma and we have a state subsidy for small group employers. They can utilize this for all of their lower paid employees. The state reimburses them 60% of the premium, the employer pays 25%, leaving 15% for the employee to pay. They are advertising this "Insure Oklahoma" thing like crazy right now. This is the avenue I would like to pursue while focusing on groups of 50 or less. I would love to know what special services you offer that help you stand out from the crowd.

I was in group health for about five years, moved to section 125 & voluntary benefits for seven years and spent the last four years home with my small children while continuing to network and retain my licenses. I am licensed in P&C as well as life and health. I am currently an agency producer with a Farmers agent. I am going to continue that relationship while opening an agency and focusing on small group health.

I have created an LLC & am working on E&O & Appointments. I guess AFLAC/NAPA is the best option for E&O?

As stated, I have been home without income for the past four years; therefore, building an agency without immediate income is feasible for me. I am in the process of beefing up on the current plan designs and knowledge since I have been out of the loop for a few years.

Thanks again & any advice is welcomed!

DSH

Back