Aetna Buys Humana for $37B

I have experienced the same thing. Some carriers will take anyone who can fog a mirror. Another carrier I have is very particular about who they appoint.

I found our lost commissions:

Humana, Aetna set termination fees for deal | Reuters

Health insurer Humana Inc and buyer Aetna Inc set fees to be paid in the event of a failure of the largest deal in the health insurance industry.

Aetna, which said last week it would buy Humana for about $37 billion in cash and stock, has to pay a termination fee of $1.69 billion, Humana said in a regulatory filing on Tuesday (1.usa.gov/1JSxWVr)

Humana would pay the larger rival $1.31 billion if the deal is terminated.

Aetna is also required to pay Humana $1 billion if the deal is not closed by June 30, 2016, according to Tuesday's filing.

I found our lost commissions:

Humana would pay the larger rival $1.31 billion if the deal is terminated.

Aetna is also required to pay Humana $1 billion if the deal is not closed by June 30, 2016, according to Tuesday's filing.

Terminated by the Feds? Each company gives the other $1 Billion or so. Duh! Maybe insurers aren't any smarter than government.

Terminated by the carriers themselves. A penalty for backing out of the deal.

It Has nothing to do with whether or not the dept of justice will allow it. That's penalty free.

Terminated by the carriers themselves. A penalty for backing out of the deal.

It Has nothing to do with whether or not the dept of justice will allow it. That's penalty free.

OK. Thanks for saying what the trained journalist wasn't trained to say. I wonder if modern-day engaged couples have arrangements like that? haha.

Looks as if UHC IFP is also experiencing loss of premium paying clients:

Lower medical spending, Optum boost UnitedHealth's second quarter - Modern Healthcare

One of the few blemishes in UnitedHealthcare's quarter was a loss of 30,000 people in its individual health plans. The insurer added 570,000 ACA exchange customers during this year's open enrollment, but attrition of people paying their premiums led to the lower figure.

Most of the losses are probably due to their internal system not sending out the invoices so clients don't pay premiums and get terminated-talk about shooting themselves in the foot :no::no::no::no::no::1baffled::1baffled::1baffled::1baffled:

Excerpt from: Wall Street National | Anthem set to announce deal for Cigna this week: sources - Wall Street National

"Large self-insured employers make up most of Cigna’s customers. In addition to these businesses, Cigna also has 24 million behavioral care customers, nearly 14 million dental care members, 8 million pharmacy benefit plan members and 1.5 million Medicare Part D pharmacy customers."

What are "behavioral care" customers? 24 million is a huge number.

Excerpt from: Wall Street National | Anthem set to announce deal for Cigna this week: sources - Wall Street National

"Large self-insured employers make up most of Cigna’s customers. In addition to these businesses, Cigna also has 24 million behavioral care customers, nearly 14 million dental care members, 8 million pharmacy benefit plan members and 1.5 million Medicare Part D pharmacy customers."

What are "behavioral care" customers? 24 million is a huge number.

Behavioral Care is Mental Health.

UHC had United Behavioral Health. HCSC has Magellan.

A self funded company could conceivably do this:

Medical with Bcbs
Pharmacy direct with Caremark
Behavioral Health with Cigna

Its a separate unit

Back