Aetna Commissions

She faxed me the 3 page "Welcome to Aetna" letter. Page two listed her pre-existing conditions and said: (paraphrasing) " To keep these conditions from being considered as Pre-Existing by Aetna, you should provide proof of creditable coverage, if that coverage was in effect during the last 63 days."

Well, this lady hasn't had health insurance since her American Republic individual plan lapsed in April.

So Mike, you're saying that this is something your customers don't get in PA? This was my first and only Aetna client, so I've had zero experience with the company until now. It is strange that she didn't have to sign riders, even though page 2 sounded like her Pre-X conditions were being ridered.

-Allen

I've never sold an Aetna plan, but have sold plenty of Cigna plans and they are very similar.

If they didn't have creditable coverage in the last 63 days, there is a 12 month wait before pre-ex is covered --even if a rate-up is applied to cover said pre-ex conditions.

100% rate-up and also 2 exclusion riders

She faxed me the 3 page "Welcome to Aetna" letter. Page two listed her pre-existing conditions and said: (paraphrasing) " To keep these conditions from being considered as Pre-Existing by Aetna, you should provide proof of creditable coverage, if that coverage was in effect during the last 63 days."

Well, this lady hasn't had health insurance since her American Republic individual plan lapsed in April.

Aetna does not issue riders.

What you discovered is the break in creditable coverage that quite a few carriers use.

WHEN she supplies a letter of creditable coverage the pre-ex waiting period will be reduced from 12 months to 12 months less the number of months she had creditable coverage in the past 12 months.

Based on your post, looks like 7 months.

Aetna's underwriting is all over the boards, but not as messed up as Coventry. They will take a fair number of folks at 100% rate up that others will decline.

And as others have said, they don't pay on rate up's and they pay a lower commission on the $10,000 Value plan than on other plans.

I gather from your post, when you run into other situations like this you will tell your prospect there is nothing available rather than taking a commission hit with Aetna.

So Mike, you're saying that this is something your customers don't get in PA? This was my first and only Aetna client, so I've had zero experience with the company until now. It is strange that she didn't have to sign riders, even though page 2 sounded like her Pre-X conditions were being ridered.

-Allen

Aetna (individual) will issue a standard pre-existing condition cause to not cover any pre-existing conditions for 12 months from the date of coverage. Unless, they have had prior creditable coverage within the past 63 days. This applies on all new business.

In PA, I've never had Aetna add an exclusionary rider, to not cover a specific condition of a client.

Allen-
Aetna DOES NOT issue riders.
If you are complaining about the paltry 15% commission, you need to leave this business now. Plenty of agents, including myself, that LOVE that paltry (20%) commission!

Aetna (individual) will issue a standard pre-existing condition cause to not cover any pre-existing conditions for 12 months from the date of coverage. Unless, they have had prior creditable coverage within the past 63 days. This applies on all new business.

In PA, I've never had Aetna add an exclusionary rider, to not cover a specific condition of a client.

OK MMike..thanks for the feedback. So even though this lady was rated up 100% for pre-existing conditions, those conditions are not covered for the first 12 months. Never seen that before! But then again, I've never written an Aetna. Thanks again.
-Allen

Back